iTunes 9 Might Sync With Non-Apple Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjhva

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Why has Tom's become a hub of repeating news that has been posted hours or days before on other sites?

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Actually this seems like a smart move on Apples part. They have had some 3rd party devices that have connected for some time now when they worked out a deal. Now if they open it up to others to use iTunes all they want, as long as it through the Apple approved method, it will basically remove any leg Palm has to stand on for doing things their "tricky" way. If there is a way available to them to have all the functions work and they don't use it then they are the ones that will look bad. Also if you let everyone sync then there is no selling point involved with being able to do so on the Pre.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Apple has no choice. iTunes is the industry leader in digital music sales they can either open iTunes up to other devices or get a smack down in court and be forced to do the same thing.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
It's a great move for Apple, as long as they keep optimizing iTunes for Windows a lot more for Windows. The Mac version is very zippy, but can't really say that for the Windows version. Although I can say that Apple has done a pretty good job compared to earlier versions, but hopefully it'll be faster.

etichi

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Apple has no choice. iTunes is the industry leader in digital music sales they can either open iTunes up to other devices or get a smack down in court and be forced to do the same thing.[/citation]

It's really to bad that we behave like this. "You are making a good product... slow down!!! stop!!! Not everyone is keeping up." And yes it is a good product, if there was a clearly better one then the majority of the people would be using it.

Free markets are absolutely dead!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Why don't the U.S. and EU bring suits against Apple already? You cannot use your dominance in a market to drive out competitors (i.e. prevent the Palm Pre from synching), just to better position your own product that does the same (iTunes 9 synching). This is illegal in every sense of the word antitrust! Same thing with the iPhone app store, you can't ban a product just because you have a similar product. The very spirit of open and fair competition is being thrown out the window and our justice department turns a blind eye because "darnit, Steve Jobs just looks so snazzy in those turtle necks".

thepetey

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]It's really to bad that we behave like this. "You are making a good product... slow down!!! stop!!! Not everyone is keeping up." And yes it is a good product, if there was a clearly better one then the majority of the people would be using it.Free markets are absolutely dead![/citation]
i think the main reason people use itunes.. or the reason why its soo "good" is because people who have ipods.. which is like what 60-70% of the market share... use itunes.

etichi

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]thepetey[/nom]i think the main reason people use itunes.. or the reason why its soo "good" is because people who have ipods.. which is like what 60-70% of the market share... use itunes.[/citation]

Sorry to not be clear enough but by product I mean ipod AND iTunes which are in the same boat, or at least that is the way Apple wants it.

So... If I have an iPod I use iTunes or
if I use iTunes I have an iPod... see this simple Reflexive property. Pretty cool isn't it.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Bah....companies I used to hate are starting to make it difficult for me to avoid them!

Sony is improving the PS3 and making it a lot cheaper, now Apple's iTunes is DRM free AND works with other media players....

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I used to hate itunes...

I spent the time to find over 400 missing artworks, removed doubles from my 1.9 gig library and made sure EVERY disk actualy stuck together in a list.

Now i run my laptop from outside with my "remote" app, its just killer.

I think once you spend 20 some hours setting up itunes to be clean and proper (huge library) its really sweet.

Good move for apple to open it up... more sales is more sales, regardless the device it goes on to.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
How much does anyone want to bet Apple is going to charge the device makers for a license to connect to iTunes? If they don't pay, sue and press charges for "circumventing" security practicals. Its the perfect route to stop company's like Palm and make a $ off the other device makers who get customer complaint "Why isn't this working with iTunes?! Make it work!"

That being said, if iTunes supports the Zune I may use it over the MS bloatware (trade a less capable piece of bloat for a more capable piece of bloat).

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
If anyone actually cares, there's already a third party program that lets you do that. It's called itunes Agent, pretty sick.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[citation][nom]tjhva[/nom]Why has Tom's become a hub of repeating news that has been posted hours or days before on other sites?[/citation]
That may be true but I personally don't have enough time in the day to spend at a bunch of sites to read the latest and greatest. I am happy to check tom's a few times a day and not have to go anywhere else. What's wrong with repeating news for the sake of convenience?

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
If they really do open it up to 3rd party players, then amen to that. I've been having buyer's remorse ever since getting the Zune 8 (which I preferred over the ugly iPod midget nano).

People who complain about iTunes being bloated have never seen Zune's software.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Hellwig, they most certainly can block Palm from doing the syncing the way they did originally and the way they do now. They are not required to open it up to anyone if they don't want to, but beside that fact, they already do open it up to a number of devices and have a system in place for other programs and hardware to access your iTunes library. Just because Palm chooses not to use it and do it their own way, does not mean that Apple has to let them.

Status
Not open for further replies.