Solved! iTunes "Back Up Now" button greyed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolnavi

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015
Hey guys, I do my iTunes backup daily but today, out of the blue, both the "Back Up Now" and "Restore Backup" button are greyed out... The storage is also uncategorized... Please have a look at this image:

KavN8Ct.png

I tried to:

1. Restart PC
  2. Force restart iPhone
  3. Uninstall iTunes completely and reinstall by following this guide...
  4. Tried the iTunes.exe /setPrefInt DeviceBackupsDisabled 0 CMD command
  5. Tried on 2 different Windows 10 laptops
  6. Tried different lightning cables for both laptops and my desktop

I tried contacting Apple Support but they told me to visit them so their technician could check on the device, but I just wanna know if anyone else has any other methods I could try before bringing it down...

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
This happened to me after the most recent Windows update. Two Windows laptops that were updated had the Back Up Now button greyed out in iTunes. This happened for all my iOS devices when connected. However, the Back Up Now button was not greyed out on my MacBook Pro or my other Windows laptop which did not have the latest Windows updates installed. Not sure what is causing the issue.

I solved it, Malwarebytes was the one causing the issue for me.. See here for the solution

Basically, just exclude 2 folders from ransomware protection, already reported to Malwarebytes and they said that a fix is in the works

wolnavi

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015
Pretty sure that's for iCloud, my problem is iTunes and not iCloud
Did you try the things which refer to itunes?

Select "my computer" in the backup section and try backing it up on your computer

Is wifi on and connected, charger is connected, and this in your iphone settings:

Turn on automatic backups
  1. On your iOS or iPadOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup.
  2. Turn on iCloud Backup.
itunes is up to date?

wolnavi

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015
Did you try the things which refer to itunes?

Select "my computer" in the backup section and try backing it up on your computer

Is wifi on and connected, charger is connected, and this in your iphone settings:

Turn on automatic backups
  1. On your iOS or iPadOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup.
  2. Turn on iCloud Backup.
itunes is up to date?

Selecting "This Computer" has no difference, the buttons are still greyed out...

WiFi and charger are connected

iCloud Backup is on

If it wasn't clear, my iCloud backups are fine, the problem is iTunes backup...

ynkee7

Commendable
Aug 13, 2017
This happened to me after the most recent Windows update. Two Windows laptops that were updated had the Back Up Now button greyed out in iTunes. This happened for all my iOS devices when connected. However, the Back Up Now button was not greyed out on my MacBook Pro or my other Windows laptop which did not have the latest Windows updates installed. Not sure what is causing the issue.

wolnavi

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015

I solved it, Malwarebytes was the one causing the issue for me.. See here for the solution

Basically, just exclude 2 folders from ransomware protection, already reported to Malwarebytes and they said that a fix is in the works

Reactions: helpstar
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.