iTunes Getting its Biggest Overhaul Since Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
OVERHAUL?! PFFF.. GENERATED 1.8B AND STILL SCREWING YOUR CUSTOMERS WITH NO MULTITHREADING (HAPPY CAPS LOCK DAY!)

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Ok, so you can access all your entertainment library from all iOS devices but does that include PCs? Is it true that apple does not allow you to watch your movies in HD quality if you watch from a PC?

G

"More specifically, Apple wants to provide customers with the ability to start a movie on one Apple device, and then continue later on with another iOS device."

OMG, what an AMAZING feature, that we've had, with netflix, for years now... oh...

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]repatch[/nom]"More specifically, Apple wants to provide customers with the ability to start a movie on one Apple device, and then continue later on with another iOS device."OMG, what an AMAZING feature, that we've had, with netflix, for years now... oh...[/citation]

I can do that too. I just have the damn file on all my devices... :D (Or use home NAS)

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I like iTunes' interface and ease of organizing files. I hate their stupid goddamned "library" file that seems to get corrupted entirely too easily, whereby wiping my playlists (sometimes a restore works, other times you're SOL). If it weren't for my ipod touch, I would probably not use iTunes anymore. Doubletwist is a (very) utilitarian alternative that luckily will pull your iTunes playlist data and allow you to xfer to your android devices. It's not great, but it's nice to not have to migrate to an entirely different music organization program. Sadly, I found that iTunes does the best job for song organization and ease-of-access for playback. Hate to say it.

I hate content-integration. I know they just want to monetize their products, as any other company does, but I want a music library organization program. I don't want a "throw media in your face so you can buy it" program.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Thank god. I like how itunes works, and I like how easy it is to use, but it runs like absolute crap and locks up way too often. I hope most of the overhaul is done on the core of it.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]Thank god. I like how itunes works, and I like how easy it is to use, but it runs like absolute crap and locks up way too often. I hope most of the overhaul is done on the core of it.[/citation]
So, you like the idea of a program like iTunes, but hate the actual program iTunes... You're not alone there.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
iTunes is great... on a mac.
The PC version however runs very slow, corrups, crashes, has odd graphical glitches if you have a large music library and is bass ackwards to use. WMP may not be the best media player on earth, but I have never had an issue with it trying to reorganize my library (like itunes does), rename my music that I created (like itunes does), swap out album artwork when I found a better quality pic than they did, and when I click on an artist and press play, is stays on that artist without the need to make annother useless playlist!
And lets not even begin to talk about the fun my wife and I have had trying to get her damn ipod to sync properly with the songs she actually wants to hear. Or the weird permissions issues we have run across where her ipod thinks that the computer that just spent forever loading it with music, is somehow not the proper computer or user information, so it needed to be reformatted again to change 2 songs that she forgot to put on the thing. And God help you if you actually use WMP for day to day use, and use itunes just for the ipod syncing.

Seriously though, it's not all that terrible to use anymore, and they have addressed quite a few issues. But I would still like to see it become a little less intrusive, give a few more options to users, and take care of some of those dumb corruption issues that still crop up from time to time.

motheninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
[citation][nom]computernerdforlife[/nom]iTunes sucks. Bloat ware.[/citation]

Yeah its such bloatware, Samsung has applications dedicated to importing data from iTunes... Basically Samsung phones uses iTunes.

iTunes is currently the number 1 application for music management.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]Ok, so you can access all your entertainment library from all iOS devices but does that include PCs? Is it true that apple does not allow you to watch your movies in HD quality if you watch from a PC?[/citation]

I'm not a fan of iTunes as a media player or much at all in general but I did just successfully play a few HD movies (720p and 1080i H.264 mkv's) from within iTunes. I'm not sure if this is supported out-of-the-box or if it's a result of the many codec's I have installed but right-clicking them and opening in iTunes did give me HD playback.

I agree with an earlier poster about the multi-threading support. Also, the 64-bit iTunes has no performance difference over the x86. I often need to convert videos to send to my iPhone and the encoding speed is dreadfully slow if you use iTunes to do it. Using Handbrake or other 3rd party encoders like AVS can encode to h.264 .mp4 files in about 1/3rd the time and result in much better quality once the video ends up on my phone.

G

[citation][nom]house70[/nom]So, you like the idea of a program like iTunes, but hate the actual program iTunes... You're not alone there.[/citation]

This is pretty much how I feel about iTunes as well. I've tried Winamp a number of times and while I love how responsive it is in comparison to iTunes (and its much smaller footprint), with thousands of songs in my library it just lacks the features that I need to make organizing my music as easy as possible.

Luckily since I've upgraded to SSD it's somewhat softened the blow that iTunes does to system resources. I also hope that this redesign does something to address its poor optimization on Windows, but I highly, highly doubt it.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
[citation][nom]face-plants[/nom]I'm not a fan of iTunes as a media player or much at all in general but I did just successfully play a few HD movies (720p and 1080i H.264 mkv's) from within iTunes. I'm not sure if this is supported out-of-the-box or if it's a result of the many codec's I have installed but right-clicking them and opening in iTunes did give me HD playback.[/citation]

You're talking about playing videos in iTunes but I'm talking about downloading via iTunes. I think Apple does not allow people to download the HD versions of their videos to PC.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Can't confirm or deny this either but it's an interesting question. I much prefer getting videos elsewhere in a more open format and converting them for my devices as I chose.

Status
Not open for further replies.