panchy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I own a Windows 7 64-Bit system, and recently i upgraded my Itunes with a new patch. Problem is, the system will not play the itunes. i tried to reboot, figure out the administrator settings, go into safe mode and even look into the main system root drivers and all, but nothing works. I've tried to uninstall or re-install Itunes and both times, the system comes up with "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. "Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I have checked the Windows installer and it is working properly, and the computer is NOT running in safe mode. Anyone have any idea on how to get this problem resolved?

(Sorry if i dont you the correct terminology)

aford10

Distinguished
Itunes is simply a media library tool. If you want it to play your media files, you need to set it as the default media player for that type of file. Or you can right click on the file, and choose to play with Itunes.

panchy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah my problem is when i try to uninstall itunes ( Since its not working ) It says my windows installer is installed incorrectly , (?) But its installed correctly and working fine to my knowledge . I also tried installing itunes again and it gives me the same error message stating my windows installer is installed incorrectly .

panchy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
i have windows 7 so that could be it "Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2"

panchy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I dont know if you mean uninstall a program or windows installer . If you mean if windows installer is listed , No. If your talking about uninstall a program , Yes. (Under the programs tab). Sorry for the late reply

panchy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Im a little confused on how to get to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions" And a friend of mine came over yesterday and did all those commands and he gave up after it gave him this error message.

panchy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Just to clear up what its saying.. When i go to uninstall a program and click apple/itunes and press uninstall the error message says "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

aford10

Distinguished

start-->run-->regedit-->then follow the path listed above.

Did your friend run the sfc /scannow command? That will scan for any problems in your system files.

panchy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Yes he did , And i tryed but it gave me the same Error message , Then it asked if i wanted to get rid of some "leftover files" so i just deleted everything there :) , But that didnt solve the problem with the error message. When i go to the \DisabledSessions there are no deletable entries underneath it.