iWatch May Replace iPod in Apple's Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Doesn't make sense to me. I want the classic iPod to be remade and brought back. You can get 1TB 1.8" drives, 3 inch oled 720p displays, why not put them in a aluminum chassis? and the click wheel, either get rid of the patent or keep using it, Apple.

Haravikk

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Given the size of the iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle I can see an iWatch replacing those if the pricing is right. Personally I'm hoping the iWatch will only optionally have a strap (so you can still clip it on if you prefer), or at least can be worn on the upper arm to avoid a dangling headphone wire. A model with limited storage would do as an iPhone/iPad accessory-only device, while versions with more memory can replace the smallest iPods. Beyond that, I think it makes more sense to combine the iPod Touch and iPod Classic; e.g - make the iPod Touch a more distinct device, perhaps with a curved back designed for gripping, and giving it the room to fit a 1.8" hard drive for capacity, basically make a real focus on capacity and gaming and distinguishing it from just being an iPhone for people with no friends to call (joking).

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Doesn't make sense to me. I want the classic iPod to be remade and brought back. You can get 1TB 1.8" drives, 3 inch oled 720p displays, why not put them in a aluminum chassis? and the click wheel, either get rid of the patent or keep using it, Apple.
There's less and less of a market for the iPod now that iPhones and iPads are so prevalent. The iPod market has been steadily declining over the past few years with a 51% drop year-over-year this past quarter. People are still buying them but most people with a smartphone will use that for media rather than rely on a second device. If you need more storage than an iPhone or iPad can muster then you're much better off purchasing a 1TB wireless external hard drive than you are buying an iPod to carry your bulk media files. A 1TB wireless drive can be found for ~$150, which is the same price as a 16GB iPod Nano and $100 cheaper than a 160GB iPod Classic while offering much more storage capacity and the ability to stream that content to multiple devices at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.