Japanese Surgeon Uses an iPad in Operation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebld

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Apple sell Ipad by million, wait... that not even avil. on world wide basis.. those who make fun and joke abt Ipad missing the main point " Ipad sell ... whatever u may say or think..

G

Yeah but can the iPad get the insurance company to approve the damned surgery in the first place? What there's not an app for that?

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Sykar[/nom]How is this news?[/citation]

Actually I find this more interesting then the last hundred "news" about the iPad. I find it interesting to see gadgets that most of us buy just for fun being used to maybe save lives.

[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]Erm, since the app he's using is prolly unofficial, that means the iPad is likely jailbroken...Apple lawsuit in 3... 2... 1...[/citation]

I don't think so. They are just uploading pictures on the pad so they can look at them really easy while operating, not having to move his head up to a monitor.

It's a really unnatural position bent over the patient and having to look up to a screen.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Apple haters make me lol. Dont like it dont click on the link to read about it then bash it. Do something more productive like jump in the lake or off a cliff! We are all now dumber for having read your apple hating rant, thanks![/citation]

Tom's used to be a respected tech website, but it can't hope to keep up that reputation if random iPad news like 'Cat likes iPad' keeps being posted. And it's up to Tom's users to remind them of that.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]Erm, since the app he's using is prolly unofficial, that means the iPad is likely jailbroken...Apple lawsuit in 3... 2... 1...[/citation]
Did you see the one about the dog playing Air Hockey on the iPad?

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Why is it so amazing that an iPad did this?

If Dell,Hp,Intel etc had a product that did something so amazing it wouldn't be news now would it?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Nothing amazing about that. Monitors have been used in hospitals and OR's since their invention. The title should have been "Surgeon uses an ipad as a monitor in OR" or something similar.
Just because it happened to be an ipad doesnt mean anything amazing.
For reference, monitors used in hospitals are professional-grade, meaning accurate color reproduction at the expense of response time. Akin to what pro photographers use in studios.
Probably the monitor was not working and they had to resort to some improv., cause the screen quality on an ipad does not even come close to what is required in a hospital.

ashkaji

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Im suprised they dont have a bigger screen. Honestly doctors make good bank. Why are they using an Ipad instead of say, a larger touchscreen LCD. Maybe price?

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
It's an enabling PC being used in a way that wasn't previously catered for by existing devices. That's not to say other devices couldn't be used, but that they weren't. The iPad is good for this type of work as it allows surgeons rapid access to data during complex surgical procedures.

Remember to say to yourselves "New paradigm". The future has arrived...will get cheaper...will get faster... will get added functionality (if and when needed).

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
There's a file line between effective and creative product exposure and what we're seeing with the iPad. This tablet is not revolutionary, like say the iPod was at first, and not everybody plans to get it. Stop with building this fake momentum for a tablet. You're actually devalueing it by making it cheap and cheesy with all the nonsense you're reporting about it.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I think the guy on the table was Jobbs, & he was probably telling the surgeon the iPad has no Flash support. The surgeon refused to believe, & he's double checking just to be sure.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
By the title, I was kind of thinking that they had actually used it in the operation, as in grafted it to the guys chest or something. That would be cool.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Whats funny is if they used a regular laptop, they wouldn't have had to have someone holding it up for the other doctor. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.