wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Hi guys. Bit if a newbie question here. A while back I took a course on Java programming. I forgot a lot of it but recently dug the book out and I feel like giving it another shot. The thing is, I remember at school we used a program to write the code it. It would colour code different sections, objects etc and also had a debug feature in case you used the wrong syntax or made a spelling error. I did a bunch of googling last night but almost all the info I come across is either confusing or just downright crappy looking.

So, my question is, can someone give me the name(s) of a java compiler I can check out? I don't mind paying a little for it if it's good.

Solution
What you are describing is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment), not a compiler.

For Java, two great IDE's are Netbeans and Eclipse. They both work wonderfully (they have all the features you mentioned plus many more), so I would suggest trying them out and deciding which one you like more.

Cheers

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
What you are describing is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment), not a compiler.

For Java, two great IDE's are Netbeans and Eclipse. They both work wonderfully (they have all the features you mentioned plus many more), so I would suggest trying them out and deciding which one you like more.

Cheers

Solution