Solved! JBL Balboa Sub10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2022
JBL Balboa Sub 10 Sub Woofer produces no sound at all. It has an LED on the back that is supposed to turn red when powered on, and then turn green when it gets a signal, and produce sound. This one turns green as soon as it's powered on (even with no signal!) and then it does nothing. It is connected with a single wire going to my Denon AVR-687. Any ideas what is going on?

Solution
Problem solved. :D

There is nothing wrong with any of the speakers, including the sub woofer. The problem was with the set up of the sound on the A/V receiver. Initially I had done the auto setup using a microphone. I tried repeatedly to do a manual setup of the speakers, which obviously was not working. So I had the idea of doing the auto setup again, which worked. It was music to my ears to hear the test sound coming from the sub for the first time in years!

I think the problem was this. When the receiver does the auto setup, it stores the information collected from the setup. Even though it does not say anything like this in the owners' manual, I believe the auto setup information is lost when there is no power going to the...
Mar 4, 2022
No, hang-the-9, I believe JBL would only support speakers under warranty, this one is out of warranty.

I have played around with the setup of the Denon AVR-687 in case it was something to do with that, but it does not appear so. The next step is to try to find out if there is a signal coming down the cable going to the sub, using a multimeter. If there is, then I will know that I have to open up the sub and have a look at the electronics inside it. If there isn't, then the issue is with the audio visual receiver.

I had hoped that this would have been a common problem that would be easily fixable, but it seems I will have to go the full nine yards.

No, hang-the-9, I believe JBL would only support speakers under warranty, this one is out of warranty.

I have played around with the setup of the Denon AVR-687 in case it was something to do with that, but it does not appear so. The next step is to try to find out if there is a signal coming down the cable going to the sub, using a multimeter. If there is, then I will know that I have to open up the sub and have a look at the electronics inside it. If there isn't, then the issue is with the audio visual receiver.

I had hoped that this would have been a common problem that would be easily fixable, but it seems I will have to go the full nine yards.

Seems that model is at least 14 yrs old, so it worked at one point then stopped? Sounds like failed electronics in the sub if that's the case. Quite a few of those things have fuses, did you check that?

Mar 4, 2022
Yes, the entire A/V system is about that age. The sub did work for some years then stopped working several years later. Since we didn't use the 5.1 system that much I kept putting it off. Then I had to move everything to put a fresh coat of paint on the room, so now I am trying to get it going again. I will have to test the signal, fuse, and ultimately all the electronics to see what the problem is. It would be great if it were just the fuse, but I haven't checked that yet, maybe tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

Mar 4, 2022
Problem solved. :D

There is nothing wrong with any of the speakers, including the sub woofer. The problem was with the set up of the sound on the A/V receiver. Initially I had done the auto setup using a microphone. I tried repeatedly to do a manual setup of the speakers, which obviously was not working. So I had the idea of doing the auto setup again, which worked. It was music to my ears to hear the test sound coming from the sub for the first time in years!

I think the problem was this. When the receiver does the auto setup, it stores the information collected from the setup. Even though it does not say anything like this in the owners' manual, I believe the auto setup information is lost when there is no power going to the receiver. I never turned off the power to the receiver since the original setup, until earlier this year when I disconnected everything, but we did have some power outages caused by storms years ago that lasted for some time. It must have been during those power outages that the information was lost when the sub stopped working. The other speakers still worked fine leading me to think that there was something wrong with the sub. But subs are different from other speakers - they contain quite a bit more electronics in their cases. Such is the result of electronic advancement!

In any case all is good now.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.