Solved! JBL Control 5 Speakers.

muertopvb

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
I have a Yamaha RX-V592 rated at 8 ohms. I can only get sound out of the tweeter. I'm hard of hearing, but I don't think there is any sound coming out of either one. I have my doubts that a woofer is blown in both speakers. These things are pristine. Is it the mismatch of the 4-ohm speaker and the 8-ohm receiver?

Solution
The speaker resistance can't do that.
Check the setting in the receiver speaker set up menu.
If you don't have a subwoofer then the fronts should be large and subwoofer none.
You can blow both woofers at the same time. You would not see a blown voice coil.
If the speakers have woofer fuses both could be blown.
If the speakers have biwire terminals check that the bridges for the 2 positive and 2 negative terminals are screwed down tight. They sometimes come loose.
The speaker resistance can't do that.
Check the setting in the receiver speaker set up menu.
If you don't have a subwoofer then the fronts should be large and subwoofer none.
You can blow both woofers at the same time. You would not see a blown voice coil.
If the speakers have woofer fuses both could be blown.
If the speakers have biwire terminals check that the bridges for the 2 positive and 2 negative terminals are screwed down tight. They sometimes come loose.

Solution

muertopvb

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
thanks for the help.

So my thought was that the crossover needs to be replaced. My question is do you need to replace the whole crossover($80), ($50 refurbished)? Can you repair the crossover. I would like to fix them if it isn’t going to be major surgery. These are pretty nice monitor speakers. If I can get 2 cross over network for $50/ per speaker, it might be worth it. What do you think? My amp has no such setting as far as I can tell.