Judge Orders Divorcing Couple to Swap Facebook Passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
.[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]Yes I can see why the judge did this. However the problem is where does it end? Looks a little steep imo.[/citation]

when you stop living your lives online

xjchcxx

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
i read an article which did a study on american divorces due to marital unfaithfulness and it showed the majority of them used a social media website to plan and exploit the affair. In this case, the judge is trying to see if the mother is fit for parent hood (and it's implied she was unfaithful) I'm betting the reason this was allowed was because they had reason to suspect she had plotted certain activities that would prove her inability to be a proper and responsible parent. Many cheaters can still provide for a kid; however, i suspect something more serious was expected to be found, talking about drug usage or something that you can objectively say 'unfit for parenting,' but that's just my speculation.

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
This is merely and example of a modern-day search warrant. If there is enough reason to suspect that they could be hiding evidence via messaging on facebook or other online social media, the judge has every right to do this.

How is this any different then if the wife or husband had a safe in the house with letters from their "affairs" inside that may prove or disprove some type of wrong doing.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I suppose it depends on what you're giving up a password to..I'd say it'd be more appropriate for them to have a live session of logging in and searching, rather giving up a password. Giving away a password can give away more than just that facebook account..and could end up being a hassle down the road (people open their mouths and before you know it everyone has the password).

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Who needs passwords?

Just Subpoena the Web Service for ALL data records of the people in question.

I'm shocked the lawyers didn't ask the judge to just subpoena the entire data history of the Facebook accounts or both people for discovery purposes.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom].when you stop living your lives online[/citation]
But unfortunately thats how people live and it's only going to get more intense as more tools arise.

PeterHighlander

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

What is there to hide?

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
This has nothing to do with the judge's decision or the hatred of facebook, but it has everything to do with the will and consequences of this previously married couple. If I were them, I'd work this part out, perhaps even reconcile and forgive, if their love is meant to last. This swapping of passwords won't be healthy for either of them, although, if they are sticking to their decision of divorce, then just carry on , but don't be disrespectful of each other on facebook. Still this is one of the creepiest stories concerning married couples I have probably encountered to date. FB is already creepy, but this takes it to a whole new level of creepiness. sad, really.

G

It's HER Facebook account. If someone wants to divorce me and take my house it's mine to sell. If someone wants to bring up personal times it's mine to throw away.

Blatant invasion of privacy runs rampant when people know nothing about technology or ethical judgement.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]I suppose it depends on what you're giving up a password to..I'd say it'd be more appropriate for them to have a live session of logging in and searching, rather giving up a password. Giving away a password can give away more than just that facebook account..and could end up being a hassle down the road (people open their mouths and before you know it everyone has the password).[/citation]

You realize yu can cahnge th epassword right?

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]This has nothing to do with the judge's decision or the hatred of facebook, but it has everything to do with the will and consequences of this previously married couple. If I were them, I'd work this part out, perhaps even reconcile and forgive, if their love is meant to last. This swapping of passwords won't be healthy for either of them, although, if they are sticking to their decision of divorce, then just carry on , but don't be disrespectful of each other on facebook. Still this is one of the creepiest stories concerning married couples I have probably encountered to date. FB is already creepy, but this takes it to a whole new level of creepiness. sad, really.[/citation]

If there marriage is meant to last then the swapping of facebook passwords won't make a difference. Either you can deal with your partner being a cheating w hore ore you can't. It's pretty much that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.