Junk to Gems: 20 Projects For Old Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
That HDD clock one isnt great... sure its easily, but i saw one a while back that had LEDs on the platters and it worked like a normal clock, was awesome xD

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm not sure a router is the best hidden safe idea. I think any robber will yank that thing off your desk thinking he might get 5 bucks for it somewhere. Still, if the router remains functional, its not a horrible idea.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
You said:
You do have to disassemble the hard disk drive to get the platters out, so be careful not to get electrocuted. Instead get CUTED!
LOL! HDDs don't have any thing electrically dangerous to kill. HOWEVER, CRTs have high capacity capacitors that can kill.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I would have used something newer for the belt buckle rather than a rare ceramic p55c (mmx era p1) since those are often sought by collectors. The P4 hotplate is a bright idea since that is all that they are good for. I rather use a older p2/p3 as a basic file server for junk files that is only once a month than a p4 box. To hot and to much power consumption which makes great coffee for a desktop coffee maker.

mattak

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
[citation][nom]SHadoW703793[/nom]You said:LOL! HDDs don't have any thing electrically dangerous to kill. HOWEVER, CRTs have high capacity capacitors that can kill.[/citation]

I have to second this, I took apart a CRT as a kid and knocked myself on my ass after touching a cap, and it hadn't even been plugged in in ages. I would be extremely careful taking apart CRTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.