Just bought volt mp3/wma cdw/rw

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What should I use to convert cds to mp3? Will Graphedit work? Is this a good player (I can take it back)? It only cost about $80, is the more expensive bios uprade enabled one worth twice as much? Can you put the mp3s in files to organize them or do they need to be in a big bunch.

One reason I bought the mp3 player is because audio books are coming on like 8 cds and I should be able to squarsh all 8 into 1. Can I make one big 650MB mp3 or 8 medium size mp3 files or do I need a seperate mp3 for each of the hundreds of tracks on the 8 original cds?

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I found a good free small mp3 converter called cdex that is just over one meg. I made my first mp3 with it and it sounds fine. So I answered my own first question. The Rio player is a sp90 if that matters.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok I took the thing out of the package so now I can't return it, making this a perfect time for someone to tell me that it is junk and I shoulda bought a better one.

This thing is so cool! I put an 8 hour book on a cd with room to spare. The player can see in file folders so tracks can be grouped easily. Since my first project was a book the tracks don't really mean anything so I did not take the time to rename each of the tracks, instead I just put the tracks from each cd into a numbered folder and it works like a charm. Since the tracks all have the same name they would have overwritten each other if you tried to put them in the same folder without renaming each track. Anyway I guess this is not so exciting for most folks but I'm very happy with how easy it was to compress a 8 cd book into 1 mp3. Color me happy ;-) LD