JVC speaker issue. Left and right won’t work at the same time.

Henry MacVane

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
So I’m having an issue trying to get all my speakers to work. I have them all hooked up right but my left or right don’t want to work at the same time. My receiver is a RX 554V

It has two push buttons for “speakers 1 and 2”

Each left and right have two outputs on the back, my left one I have hooked into a left speaker and also te woofer. They both work. However my right one doesn’t work unless I fiddle with the push buttons on the front in test mode. Otherwise it won’t come on. And when the right is on, the left isn’t... no idea :/

There is an RCA style output plug in the back for the woofer but the woofer only takes pos/neg cable so I ran a cable from the left speaker to it and it works.

Currently I’m just using the FM dial to test it

Solution
If you connect just the speakers (no separate woofer) to the A left and right you only get one channel working. Do you know that both speakers work? Connect the other speaker to the left channel that does work.
You can connect another source to the receiver to make sure that the tuner isn't the problem..
The controls on an old receiver can get intermittent due to age or dirt. With the receiver off operate then 20-30 times. Sometimes the clean themselves. There may also be a relay inside that need to be cleaned or replaced.

Henry MacVane

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
Also as a bit of more info... the woofer and speaker work together if I plug both into the left speaker outputs. But if I unplug one or the other both don’t work. So they both work together. The right side on the other hand doesn’t work at all. Unless I mess with it like I said above. Even if I swap the same speaker and woofer that works on the left to the right no dice...

I hope the solution isn’t just “well that’s screwed”. Given to me but it’s only got a few hours on it. Been sitting on a shelf for ever

If you connect just the speakers (no separate woofer) to the A left and right you only get one channel working. Do you know that both speakers work? Connect the other speaker to the left channel that does work.
You can connect another source to the receiver to make sure that the tuner isn't the problem..
The controls on an old receiver can get intermittent due to age or dirt. With the receiver off operate then 20-30 times. Sometimes the clean themselves. There may also be a relay inside that need to be cleaned or replaced.

Solution

Henry MacVane

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014