Kaspersky AV 2016 BSODs on winXP SP3 quad core PCs

peterh337

Commendable
May 5, 2016
We are getting this on several machines.

It started some weeks ago, so probably an auto update, because the 2016 AV was installed some months ago (we have a corporate license).

It happens on Q9550, QX9650, i5 and i7. All quad core. The QX9650 machine was fine with an E8500 (dual core) CPU.

We are thus dumping KAV and going to AVG which seems to be OK (30 quid per PC). AVG is a bit dumb though, flagging .bat files containing a few lines of text as potential viruses and other silly stuff like that. So we had to exclude a load of directories from being scanned.

KAV has been great for many years but I think they have dropped the ball. And please don't tell me that XP is unsupported therefore this is OK ;) The machines are mission critical and aren't used to access p0rn websites (etc) :)

Solution
I was on the phone 45 minutes with KA yesterday ... and kept asking the same questions.

1. I have replied to your "Well we have not heard back from you so will close your case within 5 days" e-mails with "Yes you have heard back from me and I have done / sent you everything you asked, why do you keep sending me these silly e-mail despite this ?"

2. I sent you screenshots of KA blocking me from d/l'ing the files ... and yet you ask me to send you the file, that you won't let me download. Since I couldn't download it, I sent you the links where you could download it, yet you didn't; you didn't look at the vendors web site and the explanation of KA blocking the download and waht efforts were taken to prove that it was a false...
Unfortunately... every AV vendor comes up short. We have installed most for test runs and one constant across the board is "terrible support". Another constant ... as soon as one vendor rises to prominence, they become paranoid and incorporate so many license control measures, that it interferes with operation and requires excess management IT costs. We just dumped BitDefender because I can no longer keep a copy of install program on a server or on a USB drive, I must download to to each and every machine.

With the cost of switching and getting everyone used to the new application, this should not be undertaken lightly. But I don't see a question in your post. To solve the problem, some questions I'd ask would be:

How long has this been going on ?
What does Event Viewer say ?
BSOD STOP error code ?
Is Tech Support addressing the issue ?

But if you have already moved to another vendor, not sure whether the effort is warranted

Of course if this is just a rant, I can certainly understand that and offer one of my own, having my own issues with KA Tech Support. It keeps blocking a file I want to download, KA thinks it is infected (confirnmed false positive) ... KA's solution ... "send us the infected file".

Ummm .... if you won't d/l it, how do I send it to you ? Turned KA off, downloaded it, installed the utility and it works fine. With KA turned back on, it has no problem with the installed utility, just the compressed installation program. It doesn't mind that the files is on the HD it scans every day ... it just won't let me redownload it.

But, I think you will find similar problems with all AV vendors ... I blame consumers who are unwilling to pay a worthwhile amount for a quality AV utility, which would allow them to provide quick and efficient tech support.

peterh337

Commendable
May 5, 2016
Yes it was just a rant :)

But I hope it's a heads-up to whoever may be affected.

AVG have a rather dumb but functioning support line, via live chat. It is available only to paying users AFAIK and the person went through some config for me. KAV have nothing like that.

There was never anything in Event Viewer and the BSOD was the common one (00000007F or something like that) which is all over the internet...

I emailed KAV the details and got an automated email back asking me to phone their support line. I didn't bother.

I was on the phone 45 minutes with KA yesterday ... and kept asking the same questions.

1. I have replied to your "Well we have not heard back from you so will close your case within 5 days" e-mails with "Yes you have heard back from me and I have done / sent you everything you asked, why do you keep sending me these silly e-mail despite this ?"

2. I sent you screenshots of KA blocking me from d/l'ing the files ... and yet you ask me to send you the file, that you won't let me download. Since I couldn't download it, I sent you the links where you could download it, yet you didn't; you didn't look at the vendors web site and the explanation of KA blocking the download and waht efforts were taken to prove that it was a false positive.

3. I went ahead and did d/l a copy after turning KA off and did as you requested sending the file with the word "infected" in the subject bar to your "special" infected file address"... I sent it 3 times. Now you are telling me that you guys have not received the file because your AV system prevents you from downloading it ? ... well than why to ask me to send it ?

4. The guy on the phone said he was going to send me a drop box location to send the file ... that was 2 days ago still waiting.

So yes, i could rant all day about AV companies.... or why when it's time to renew the subscription, it get offered at a higher price than when originally bought ... but after it expires, they cut that price in half.

The sad fact is, we have installed several different AV utilities over the last few years and the one constant is terrible support ... long turnaround times, ill trained personnel. They all have quirks ... but the one thing that gets one on the "no go" list is heavy handed DRM policies that require too much of my time.

Solution