Kaspersky Russian Spying Rumors: Should You Still Use This Antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtor

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
I've read the news stories. Near as I can tell, the FUD is based on the Israeli hack in 2015 that-was-reported-by-Kaspersky. Yeah, real devious. Most of these so-called 'experts' wouldn't know a bot from a hole in the ground.

Maybe it's my actual security background, but this sounds like some very successful social engineering. If there is a product that offers a 'higher' level of protection, spread some pucky that pundits use to recommend uninstalling it!

There is STILL no patch for human stupidity.

COO2CTO

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
My Fortigate powered Ethernet and WiFi system would have found "Russians" in my network through the last 6 years of use. Either Gartner's and Forrester's evaluations mean something or they don't. Which is it?

COO2CTO

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
ClutchC - The JS-levels are very politically motivated, smart as they are. Facts get trounced for political games. I don't like it. Perhaps the JS were jumping on the anti-russian rhetoric, whether or not any substance exists? That the Russians bought Facebook space for ads doesn't scare me - that's expected and it isn't illegal, is it? Look at all the rhetoric we send over into their air-wave space and have been throughout the cold war years and it hasn't really stopped, has it? Like I asked, " Either Gartner and Forrester are worth their salt in their evaluations and rankings of Fortigate's performance or they are not. Which is it?" If my Fortigate has failed with all their tech turned on and my bandwidth suffers as a result, is there any thing else I can do about the "Russians coming in through my Kaspersky Total Security Suite"? What does it say about Fortigate's tech vs. the Russians' tech? Maybe I SHOULD buy the Russian Tech if Fortigate isn't up to the task?!

nicktownsend888

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
I have used Kaspersky products for decades and will continue to use them. You should not pay attention to groundless or fake news without any evidence!

nicktownsend888

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
I have been using Kaspersky for 15 years. I am confident that it is the best security software of all. I do not intend to quit it just because of groundless information uttered out by a newspaper. It is just part of propaganda against Russia and Kaspersky. In fact the US and Israel have done much more dirty jobs!

dtor

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

Awe come on! Concluding that Kaspersky is ok for home but not for valuable targets like finance or military is incredibly injudicious or disingenuous. (That's the great thing about social engineering: you often can't tell the difference.) In any case, be serious - you can't conclude *ANYTHING* from the paucity of evidence that's been alluded to and attempting to do so strongly suggests the latter.

wpontius81

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Rumors and paranoia is not evidence of spying and that is all I've read. The Kaspersky CEOs links to Russian Government have been known for years, only recently since the Trump/Russia scandal has Kaspsersky suddenly become the evil company. I switched to Kaspersky when I found that it was the one security suite the NSA couldn't crack to spy on us with (Snowden leaks).

kasiourasg

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
As far as I know, Kaspersky is a great Antivirus. Many place it among the best. I don't think that you should stop using it just because of rumors. If there is evidence of that, then I would understand. But, they are nothing but rumors for now.

batmanragnarok

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
Never used it never will. I know too much about the founders of Kaspersky. I researched them years ago when looking for a good anti-virus solution. It blows my mind that anyone would trust these thugs.

davidglennduncan

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
Mr. Tom(s) Guide. You recommend home users to keep using Kaspersky. If my personal bank or other information is hacked by Russians through Kaspersky Software will you stand good and replace my money and all other people's who have been hacked and stolen? Seems to me you have issues with your own country backing a software manufacturer run/controlled by a communist state.

diotheawesome

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017

I recommend you to get a ton of anti viruses and put them all together also the firewalls and VPNs so they can't find you and then infect you and never download anything from a site that looks suspicious or have no lock that tells you its secure. Those freaking mafias are freaking scary and an annoying nuisance that makes me feel unsafe.

Nobody is safe from hackers unless you know how to hack or some . that came out of my theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.