keep laptop screen on when lid is closed?

geo1230

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2013
as the title says, i want to close the lid and have the laptop screen open. i had it running like that fine without trying to achieve this, just how it was when i first plugged the hdmi cable and connected the second monitor. but, out of the blue it changed. now, whenever i close the lid the screen goes off, so it pushes my desktop to the second monitor (and since there is no other monitor on it becomes primary). How can i stop this? Thank you in advance!

Hi,

Please do try these following troubleshooting steps that may resolve that issue.

- Right click on the battery icon on the bottom right corner and select Power Options.
- On the left pane you'll see "Choose what closing the lid does".
- Once open you'll see "When I close the lid" select "Do nothing".
- Click on Save Changes and try closing the lid again.

geo1230

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2013

hello!

Of course the option "Do Nothing" is selected. Otherwise the laptop would be goind to stand-by. The problem is that the screen is going off and thus, pushing desktop to the other monitor which become primary display. The laptop stays on, the laptop screen is going off (since that if i open the nvidia control panel and go to Set up Multiple Displays it shows me only the second monitor, a lg tv to be precise).

I am trying to understand why this is happening because it didn't do that a few days before. If it was like that all along i would asume that this is how the hardware is set up. But it wasn't like that. I was able to close the lid and keep the second monitor as an extension to the right without being automatically primary. In fact, i think that this happened after forcing a game to start fullscreen in the second monitor by starting it in windowed mode, dragging it to the second monitor and then make it start in fullscreen throught the game settings. And while i had the game on trying to force it start in the second monitor i had plugged in a ps3 controller with MotionInJoy, and i got a BSOD. It didn't worry me much because i had some BSOD before with another game before using a second monitor. So, i don't think that BSOD is relevant to my case, but forcing the game to start in the second monitor is because i re-installed it (after what happened i uninstalled it) after a week or so and somehow it remembered to open in fullscreen in the second monitor! don't know how since i completely uninstalled it but it did.

Thank you for your time. I hope there will be a solution 'cause it's very annoying not being able to close the lid.