Keep my gaming pc and buy a normal laptop OR sell pc and buy gaming laptop?

agent_13

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Hi,
I really need your help today.

I have a gaming pc (gtx 970) and i recently bought a ps4 to play sony first party games. I am a programmer and i used to work in home and didn't need a laptop.But now i need it. My budget is so limited and i prefer to play third party games on pc but i don't have any problems playing them games on ps4.

Should i sell my pc and buy a gaming laptop (970m) or keep my pc and buy a normal inexpensive laptop???

If i don't sell my pc i can pay 400$ at most for a laptop. Can a i3 and 6gb ram and 920m laptop run android studio, photoshop, autocad abd Dreamweaver?

Solution

If you like to play games that come out on the console, then sure. But the PC has far more choices. If the company can't provide workers with workstations, nor compensate them for the cost of their own, then they can't reasonably expect their own employees to underwrite their costs. If an office told you you had to bring your own paper in order to print out forms that clients need that would be considered insane.

The company needs to get their priorities straight, if they can't afford workstations, they probably...

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Both options suck, because selling your PC will not return a significant investment. If your employer requires that you come in, they have a responsibility to provide you a decent workstation. That $400 laptop would be fine for doing basic work on mobile apps, but would not be good for heavy multitasking with photoshop, dreamweaver and autocad.

agent_13

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
I work in a small start up group and they can't provide me a workstation for now. What if i don't consider work? because they may let me work remotely in home. Is it better to keep my pc even though i got a ps4?

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

If you like to play games that come out on the console, then sure. But the PC has far more choices. If the company can't provide workers with workstations, nor compensate them for the cost of their own, then they can't reasonably expect their own employees to underwrite their costs. If an office told you you had to bring your own paper in order to print out forms that clients need that would be considered insane.

The company needs to get their priorities straight, if they can't afford workstations, they probably shouldn't be spending money on moving a work at home developer into their office space and increasing their rent/utilities.

Especially since 90% of the in person functionality can be replaced by remote meetings, and for a programmer with a calm home environment they will have improved productivity from a lack of interruptions.

Solution