Key board not working on my Acer Aspire laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xmas_belle

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Hi,

My keyboard won't work on my laptop and I'm hoping someone can tell me what I have done ( I hope you have ESP) and what I can do to fix it please - (on bended knee.) It won't type on word documents or when I'm online. I cannot compose an email or make changes to anything. The mouse appears to be working. The laptop appears to be ok apart from this ( Fingers tightly crossed!!) Many thanks. Merry Christmas.

Xmas_belle

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

No unable to type anything - I can use the mouse to go online, click on things but I can't copy anything and then save on to a word document. I can't type as in typing a new search ie www but I can click on say a saved My tech ability is some what feeble which is why I'm trying the begging trick! Tc. Many thanks. Xmas_belle

MikeDee

Estimable
Apr 30, 2015
Mines an Acer Aspire V17 Mitro (black edition) and the key board just starts going wackadoodle then you can;t type like half of the letters, so I can't write anything. I restart it, it mostly seems to fix it but wth, I paid like $1300 for this 17 inch laptop. Wifi also seems to be moody lately also

Stew Hennig

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015

Sam_3

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015
I had a similar problem with my Acer Aspire R 14.

Certain keys on the keyboard wouldn't work -- at random times. Like j, k n, u. They were clustered around the middle of the keyboard. Very annoying.

One thing I did was an online chat with Acer tech support. They recommended I do a reset. That didn't work. Otherwise, because I was still under warranty, they offered to let me ship it for free to them for repair.

BUT -- strangely, my keyboard started working again. The difference was this: I upgraded my RAM from 8GB to 12GB.

So I have two theories as to why my keyboard wasn't working. (1) not enough memory. (Acer I understand has a lot of "bloatware" that eats up a lot of memory) OR (2) because I unscrewed and re-screwed in the bottom panel of the laptop. Perhaps this re-adjusted the pressure that was put on the keyboard somehow.

I always buy extra memory for my computers so I'd recommend that anyway (www.crucial.com makes it easy to buy, and they even sell the special screwdrivers for those tiny screws -- $2). But then again, if it was a mechanical/physical issue (and not software) then just shaking up the innards of the computer, adjusting the screws, may have done the trick.

Good luck.

rodolfosimonh

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
I had the random key issue on my Aspire E15. After several tries I downloaded and re-installed the IO driver. The driver was not listed as a new driver but I downloaded and installed it anyway and now it is working fine.

Carol53

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Labo__

Commendable
May 11, 2016

Wanda_4

Commendable
May 31, 2016

mario_super

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
Hi guys! I had the same problem and i fixed it. Not with your advices. My notebook is an Acer Aspire ES1-512. Probably the problem started when I used an usb data key and I took it off from the computer without right-clicking the icon to remove it properly. Anyway i tried it all, including to restore the PC to a previous date (one month ago), and nothing worked. Finally i looked at the back of the notebook (I was looking for the battery that is hidden) and I noticed a very small hole. It is a reset botton. I used a pin to push it and I heard a "click". I restarted the pc and it worked!! I hope it can fix your problem too. xx

LuvEclair

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

Just wanted to say that this worked for me with an Aspire 15. My keyboard stopped working completely, although the mouse pad still worked. I unplugged it first, then did your suggestion, and now it works (yay!!!!!). The Aspire I bought seemed plenty powerful enough for what I needed, and it looked great too (and was cheap), but I hate it. Very slow for some reason, and now this . . . just saying. I'm pretty positive I won't be buying an Acer again. Come to think of it, the keyboard never has worked that well anyway - have to hit the shift key hard. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.