Keyboard "Five Times Filthier Than Toilet Seat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnoth

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
How many keyboards have I seen broken because someone "cleaned" it improperly.

1-Don't pour liquid on it.
2-Don't take out the keys, or be sure not to break/lose them while doing so.
3-Don't wipe them too vigorously, it could lead to future malfunction.

nturgeon

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
A coworker of mine puts his in his dishwasher. It works... sometimes! When the keyboard stops functionning properly, anyhow, it is much less of a health hazard afterwards ;-)

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I've heard that dishwasher trick before(works fine on the top rack with heat turned off). Any chance this coworker of yours has ever answered the phone as follows "Hi, this is mollydog speaking"?

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I have worked for MANY employers that cause this issue by NOT providing proper breakroom / eating areas to save on space. Forcing employees to either eat outside or eat at the desk. When did it become commonplace to NOT give the employees a simple place to eat?
If your company does this, report it to HR!!!

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I wash mine with Hot water...
i just find that over time the keys get stiff...
so then complete disassembly is needed and each key is greased with silicon.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Anyone got tips on how to clean a notebook keyboard in this fashion? Complete disassembly is not going to happen with most out there, and canned air doesn't get everything off the keyboard.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
The only reason I have ever cleaned mine is to remove the pound of dust that gathers on it (with a vacuum brush attachment). Sorry, I still think I'd rather pour a pepsi into my kb and drink out of it than eat anything that's been in the same room as my toilet, much less on it. Jeez, if all you germophobes try to never come across any germs how will your body have any kind of resistance to a germ when it does?

G

FSXFan, lay out a bedsheet, hold your keyboard upside down over it, and blast it out with a can of compressed air. Vomit. You will have a staggering quantity of crud collected. Blast it out over a trash can and wipe it down thoroughly once a week. You'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.