Solved! Keyboard is randomly typing the wrong letters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2018
I am tech support for a small company and I have one user that is complaining that periodically she starts typing and the letters change on her. She'll be in the middle of typing up an email and the letter "g" will type as an "r" or "j" will type as a "p". it's very strange and I've witnessed it myself. I found a "fix" by holding the ctrl + shift... it seems to help, but it keeps happening to her. I checked her keyboard layouts and made sure she only has a US layout. I changed the key sequence in the Advanced Key Settings to "Not Assigned" in the Text Services and Input Languages.
I tried on my own personal computer to recreate the issue to no avail.
We are working on Windows 7 machines- and it's a desktop.
The only difference I can see is that she's working on a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 split keyboard.
I hooked one up to my computer to try and recreate the issue... but I couldn't.
I'm assuming that she's accidentally hitting buttons or something. I'm at a loss as I've checked all of the settings and there's nothing extra and this problem is sporadic, which is the hardest to solve. If anyone has any insight, please help.
Thank you very much

Solution

If same thing happens with another keyboard, I would put that as user error. Or just swap her computer for another and see what happens then. If another keyboard did not help, but the user insists it's not them, different computer. If it happens again, well, we know where the issue is.
Dec 20, 2018
I swapped out the keyboard for another one that’s similar...the user prefers the split keyboard... not going to stray away from that... but yes, I physically placed a different keyboard there...

If same thing happens with another keyboard, I would put that as user error. Or just swap her computer for another and see what happens then. If another keyboard did not help, but the user insists it's not them, different computer. If it happens again, well, we know where the issue is.

Solution
Dec 20, 2018

Dec 20, 2018
Yeah *sigh*... this is her third computer I built. She’s a manager, so it’s not a simple swap as I need to configure a bit more (for RDP and other settings)... so it’s not such an easy swap. I’m just chalking it up to user error- but was wondering if anyone knew definitively what is happening. I would literally have to put a surveillance camera on her hands to figure it out

Different keyboard and different computers has to mean user error. There is no way to know for sure unless you sit and stare are her typing all day.

Dec 21, 2018

Maybe not a user error. In over 20 years of computing I've never experienced this problem, now suddenly over the last couple of weeks I've started having this same thing happening on my desktop computer. It seems to happen randomly for no apparent reason. Alt + Shift does fix it, for a few days, then it will happen again. More of a nuisance factor than anything, but I'd like to find a definitive solution.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.