Keyboard stopped working (MacBook Pro)

unplanned bacon

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
I'm not sure where to ask, since the other boards didn't seem quite right.

I was using Safari and my keyboard just stopped. Only my trackpad worked. I had to go to the main desktop and hit the Spotlight shortcut multiple times to wake it up (I realised then it was system-wide it wasn't working). This happened in the space of 30 or so seconds. I've also had the mouse disappear in Safari when I was in the tab view. I fixed it the exact same way (except I didn't have to bring up spotlight, the mouse reappeared by itself).

I only started using Safari full time this week. Never had these issues with Chrome.

Solution
re macbook pro no keyboard or touchpad, finally after trying everyones suggestions got it working, always remember to look for the obvious first, LOOSE CONNECTION, took the back off third or fourth time the black strip that goes across the battery to the board was LOOSE, little fingers really needed but we managed, pushed back in works like a charm, hope this helps

thejackal85

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
Just so I understand clearly. You were in Safari and your keyboard stopped working, but your trackpad worked. Then you tried waking the keyboard up and you realized the keyboard wasn't working anywhere?

If that's the case then it sounds like you might be to reinstall OSX. Keyboard functions are the most basic of drivers and if those are malfunctioning, then something could very well be wrong with your operating system.

unplanned bacon

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Pretty much what you said (spotlight shortcut managed to wake it again). If that's the case then :/
I literally reinstalled a month ago (think it was a month ago) because the code in charge of the sleep wake program was starting to go bad. Funny, never had these issues on Mavericks or Yosemite. Spoke to Apple and they said reset PRAM which I still haven't done

thejackal85

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
Resetting the PRAM might fix it, yeah. You can find the combination of buttons to do that on their website (can't remember off-hand). If that still doesn't work, then I would go back to them. This is a very unusual problem with such a new OS. Maybe something is wrong with the wireless as well. Can you try plugging in a different wireless keyboard and see what happens?

unplanned bacon

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

It's a MacBook, so only its inbuilt keyboard. At this point my gaming rig is the problem free machine, ironic given how it started life and Apple's reputation for reliability :p

unplanned bacon

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

I haven't reset it yet. I'll probably do it in the next couple of days and then it's a waiting game, issue may never happen again or may never stop happening

Denis_13

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
re macbook pro no keyboard or touchpad, finally after trying everyones suggestions got it working, always remember to look for the obvious first, LOOSE CONNECTION, took the back off third or fourth time the black strip that goes across the battery to the board was LOOSE, little fingers really needed but we managed, pushed back in works like a charm, hope this helps

Solution