Keys on Laptop Keyboard Not Responding

ksitar2727

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
There are a few keys on my keyboard not working (The x,c,v,m, ; , 9 , and ctrl buttons to be specific). I tried cleaning the keyboard and it did not do anything. So I bought a brand new keyboard to replace it and this did nothing as well. I've reconnected the keyboard ribbon about 10 times and no difference. I've tried turning it off, taking out the battery, holding down the power button for 10+ seconds, and rebooting. No luck. I've tried pressing F2 on startup and then pressing F9 enter and F10 enter (This was suggested in the Toshiba Forums I was following to get my PC back to default settings or something like that), and this did nothing. I've ran multiple softwares looking for maleware or viruses and have found nothing. I've tried updating my drivers and they are all up to date. I have no idea what to do and it's frustrating the crap out of me. I have to use a usb keyboard to access my keys. PLEASE HELP ME!!! I am using a Toshiba Satellite a505-s6960 laptop.

Solution
I have had this issue with laptops before, and yes the issue is the connector (which you need a lighted magnifying lamp to see with) on where the ribbon connects to on the Mobo, especially if you repeatedly had disassembled and reassembled the laptop, the connector gold connections that the ribbon is supposed to press against, is worn enough to negate full connectivity causing some keys to not work.

This is why even with a new keyboard the same keys fail. The only solution is
A) use a USB keyboard - cheapest solution
B) replace the mobo - most unreliable (used parts) and expensive solution
C) replace laptop - depends on needs, but basic user laptop i3 8GB DDR3 1TB laptop only $249

plaintuts

Estimable
May 5, 2014
Since you already bought a new keyboard then, the ribbon clip could be the problem..

Actually thats kinda weird because it should not work entirely, check if a usb keyboard still produces the same problem.

ksitar2727

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
As I described above I have done that about 10 different times and the same keys are still unresponsive. The ribbon itself is not damaged because its the same keys on 2 keyboards, one old and one brand new with a brand new ribbon. I guess it could be the connector, but it looks fine and most of the keyboard works.

I have had this issue with laptops before, and yes the issue is the connector (which you need a lighted magnifying lamp to see with) on where the ribbon connects to on the Mobo, especially if you repeatedly had disassembled and reassembled the laptop, the connector gold connections that the ribbon is supposed to press against, is worn enough to negate full connectivity causing some keys to not work.

This is why even with a new keyboard the same keys fail. The only solution is
A) use a USB keyboard - cheapest solution
B) replace the mobo - most unreliable (used parts) and expensive solution
C) replace laptop - depends on needs, but basic user laptop i3 8GB DDR3 1TB laptop only $249

Solution