Kickstarter: We Are Not a Store!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
if I wanted, I could easily make a render of a cool looking product in Maya, then make a kickstarter asking for $10,000 and never actually follow through with it, but it would mean that I made 10,000 off of some stupid 3d art

by requiring people to show something real, it forces them to invest some of their money and time, thus weeding out most of the people who spam the site with stuff that is the equivalent of saying

Hey I have this really cool idea for a for a product, here is a picture my cat drew, so give me money because cocaine is not cheap and I want to snort enough to forget about all of you so that when I look at all of the money you gave me, I won't know where it came from and I will feel like I must be a successful political figure to have all this money,

----------

to prevent this, it is good for kickstarter to create requirements that force the people listing them to put up a good amount of their own money. Kinda like how stream stops chat spammers by making them buy a game before they are allowed to add people and use many of the community functions.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Thank gosh, I was tired of all this garbage where the developer expects me to put my hard earned money into their pockets before even seeing a demo of the product in use. I want to see a gameplay video, not some garbage concept art before I donate money. Here's looking at you Obsidian.

sykosys

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Kickstarter is over-reacting to the verge of stupidity. Having renders of the finished product is part of the design process, period. Sometimes, there is NO step between that rendering and a finished product, or the cost of making a fully-featured prototype is almost as much as going to full production. Not to mention the fact that most people cannot understand the difference between a circuit board (or whatever) and how that will look enclosed. Of *course* the project should no oversell its capabilities, and it makes *perfect* sense for them to require some indication of where the project is, and how it will get there, including prototype samples. (Art and tech both can do so!) Even require that renderings are marked as "artist representations". But not allowing a render will just hurt projects. As it is, the KickStarter folks seem to be operating in their own little bubble, anyway... you can't even reach them for a question not in their FAQ!

psykhe

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]Thank gosh, I was tired of all this garbage where the developer expects me to put my hard earned money into their pockets before even seeing a demo of the product in use. I want to see a gameplay video, not some garbage concept art before I donate money. Here's looking at you Obsidian.[/citation]

With that logic you might just as well say "Do not do it at all".

If they are already late in the game designing process what for do they need kickstarter money exactly? To rent a server to distribute the software?

What they need money for is the development. Doing a kickstarter when this is largely done is pointless, because then they might as well just sell it. That is assuming they got by some magic the money to get that far in the first place.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
@thecolorblue:

[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]The purpose of Kickstarter is to get funding to make it possible to bring products to market. Not to fund the initial steps in designing a product. If the company or person can't design and make some progress on developing the actual product, Kickstarter isn't going to help them.[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.