Kid Gets Box of Rocks for Christmas Instead of 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
The department that handles item returns, should be fired dead on the spot for not checking a returned merchandise.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Of course it could always be the person complaining that did it, like the women who found a finger in her Wendy's chili (later found to be her own)

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]ironmb[/nom]The department that handles item returns, should be fired dead on the spot for not checking a returned merchandise.[/citation]I'm surprised they didn't check serial numbers of the contents and the box (if the 3DS has one). That's rather common in electronics stores to prevent content swaps with broken out-of-warranty devices.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I love how Tom's 99.9% of the time never links to the original article, and make it seem like it's originally there article!

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Not at walmart at least not the one by me jhean. I know this from exp lol. Though I would never risk simply putting in rocks, but there's a great way to return consoles that are broke lol.

Though how a box of rocks go through is beyond me. Well I guess there are tools/tricks to put the plastic back on, so I guess it's possible.

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Do not by it the woman put the rocks in the box to try and get her money back or a free item. It happens I remember people buying new Video cards and then cleaning up there old one putting it in the new box and returning it to Wal-Mart or Best Buy a few years ago before they started checking the serial # on the card with the box. Back then as long as the card and box had the same manufacture name they did not really check any further.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]I'm surprised they didn't check serial numbers of the contents and the box (if the 3DS has one). That's rather common in electronics stores to prevent content swaps with broken out-of-warranty devices.[/citation]

Unless you take the part of the casing off that has the serial number and swap it around. Add a little wear to make it look the same age, and voila.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Back in my day rocks were the only thing we got for Christmas and we were grateful for those rocks. We aren't talking about the little small rocks either, boulders that would crush a kid today as you're all either skinny or fat these days. When school came back all the children would carry these large rocks to school so we could play together. We walked up 6 feet of snow up hill to school both ways with the giant boulders on our backs.

You kids can't appreciate nothing today.

G

Or perhaps it was returned in what appeared to be a sealed/never opened condition.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]ironmb[/nom]The department that handles item returns, should be fired dead on the spot for not checking a returned merchandise.[/citation]
So I'm to assume you've never worked in a retail setting. How often do you think people return merchandise and sometimes things slip through that was either unaccounted for, or the person really knew what they were doing and waiting until it was extremely busy (the people that do this know on how to play the system).

If you are at a retailer (and in this case especially it's for a return) do you really think you'll be OK waiting for the desk person to check all the merchandise that comes back and nobody complains about the wait? Sure there are standards and common sense to include, but at the same time people get pressured to take care of the customers fast.

In closing, really think about it before you throw the ax at someone (you have no idea what was going on at that point). I'm also going to assume you've never managed anyone as well =P.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I've hear Walmart employees brag about stealing merch straight off the dock and replacing it with other items, microwaves with bricks, video games with blank disks...
And they have a shrinkwrap machine in the back, so they just toss someone a $20 to look the other way and returns eat the blame...
Employees that only get $7 an hour and no benefits aren't cream of the crop and a lot of them wouldn't hesitate to snag n grab whatever they see fit.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]I've hear Walmart employees brag about stealing merch straight off the dock and replacing it with other items, microwaves with bricks, video games with blank disks... And they have a shrinkwrap machine in the back, so they just toss someone a $20 to look the other way and returns eat the blame...Employees that only get $7 an hour and no benefits aren't cream of the crop and a lot of them wouldn't hesitate to snag n grab whatever they see fit.[/citation]

You may have heard of Walmart employees stealing (just like plenty of other human beings) but just because someone only makes $7 an hour doesn't mean they can't possibly be a good employee and it certainly doesn't mean that most of them steal. In contrast, I've been to chic-fil-a dozens of times, and I have to assume their cashiers and servers are low wage earners, but they have always provided top notch service, every single time. My point is, people steal or perform poorly at work because of their moral standards, work ethic, or incompetence, not necessarily because of their low wages.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]Employees that only get $7 an hour and no benefits aren't cream of the crop and a lot of them wouldn't hesitate to snag n grab whatever they see fit.[/citation]

Ahh America, number one of course, especially with fine folks like these.

Status
Not open for further replies.