Kindle Copy of Dan Brown Book Outsells Print

Status
Not open for further replies.

batkerson

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
It's the "buzz" of a new book, a sequel to an extremely popular book. Everyone always wants to be "the first" to get something popular, and via Kindle is one way to be firs. Anyway, it DOES meaning that Kindle and e-Books in general are being accepted -- a big step, and a good one, IMO. -- Bill Atkerson
P.S. -- I like Dan Brown's stories, but not his writing style, so I'm giving this a miss whether in print or Kindle-ized.

plattyaj

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I don't think they are comparing like with like. The print version has, according to the Amazon top ten, been in the top ten for 150 days. The Kindle version for two. So what you are seeing is that the Kindle version which was just available is outselling the current book version which has been on the list (if not shipped) for 150 days.

What Amazon should do is show the total number of the print version compared to the total for Kindle.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
IMO its pricing And delivery time.

No need to drive the book store, look around find the book, buy it and return home.
or go online and wait for amazon to deliver it.
Just download and then start reading.

I wish i could do that with a lot of the older books you cant find in bookstores anymore.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
"Does this say something about the kind of people who own Kindles/read Dan Brown books or is it actually something as innocuous as pricing?"

I think it tells you something about the kind of people who buy books on Amazon, nothing else. I mean you can get Dan Brown's new book at Wal-mart for less than $15, but if you'd rather wait for it to ship (and possibly pay for that shipping), than stop off at the local Wally-World, that's your business.

Personally, if I want it now, and own a kindle, I'll download it. Otherwise, I'll drive to any local store and buy it on my way home from work. No reason to wait for the UPS guy to decide to deliver my book.

notherdude

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Too soon to say what this means. Show me the figures a month from now and then we will talk. I've seen one kindle, maybe two, in the wild - needless to say I am skeptical. If Bezos would tell us how many Kindles he has sold that might help but that's a figure nobody knows but him. Why is he hiding it? This all sounds like some marketing sleight of hand to me.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
If I had a kindle and wanted that book, I'd go with the digital one because of price. If prices for both were the same or closer, I'd want the physical copy.

erichlund

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
What it means is simple. A high percentage of Amazon's book customers are Kindle owners. If you have a Kindle, it's because that's your choice of reading style, and so you will buy the book that way. So, it means that Amazon has pretty deep penetration selling the Kindle to its book reading customer base.

There are other book stores, and their sales are not reflected in this count.

G

I bought it for my sony reader. Instant delivery. Discounted price. Why not?

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Too bad there aren't going to be any more Harry Potter books. I wonder if another one of those released today would do the same, since it's hard to get a copy on day 1.

danbrown2009

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
If I was going to buy this book - doubtful - I'd buy the hardback. Until I can resell/loan/give away a digital version of a book I'll take a pass on them.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]Mr_Man[/nom]Too bad there aren't going to be any more Harry Potter books. I wonder if another one of those released today would do the same, since it's hard to get a copy on day 1.[/citation]
It would never happen. J.K. Rawling refuses to release digital copies of her books. I was ready to buy the series for my reader when the final book came out, but I had to find alternate means.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
It's a sign of the future. If you look at the decline in readership the print media are experiencing as people shift from getting their news from magazines or newspapers to the internet, it's an easy bet that books will follow sooner or later. Even hardcore holdouts like Rawlings will be forced to release their books digitally eventually.

The upfront cost is the only hold up. At $299 it's like paying for 20 hard bound books without getting anything to read. Besides I like the feel of holding a book in my hands and turning the pages.

Definitely the future though.

Status
Not open for further replies.