Kindle Fire Hacked to Run Early Version of Android 4.0 ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
That's a step in the right direction, but I'll wait until a more substantial version is available. Not too concerned about loosing the carousel and other Amazon customizations, though. Boy was this thing easy to root and install Android Market on. Can't beat the price for what it is.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Kindle is losing its direction and its target market, There are millions of vendors making android tablets and they're not going to be able to compete in the price range they sell their "e-readers" for. Stick to the black and white e-readers that people can read out in sunlight and work on tricking those out, maybe built in light assembly for night reading etc. Unless they are able to subsidize them with a 3/4G plan, they are basically building a weak/under powered android tablet that is a dime a dozen at anything under $400

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I'm still waiting on a custom ICS Rom for my Thunderbolt. Come on XDA-Dev's.

Still, this is very cool. I was running Honeycomb on my wife's Nook Color for a while, but it was constantly getting bogged down so I gave up on it.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
There is already a Amazon Kindle app for the Android Tabs so they can always install that with ICS. I currently have it on my Toshiba Thrive tablet 10.1" (rooted with custom ROM) and works great with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.