Kindle May Have Stolen 2 Million Sales From iPad Over Holidays

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]specialkindofdaft[/nom]AfsasfAnd what can the ipad do that the fire cant, premium it maybe but you got to be a special kind of daft to spend an extra 200 odd for a similar functioning device[/citation]

I think you are a special kind of daft if you are clueless on what the limitations of Kindle are compared to the iPad. There are several web sites that cover this at the hardware level and plenty of feedback on performance/responsiveness issues with the Kindle. Personal choice based on what one can afford, certainly.

G

I wouldn't put much credence in a report that Apple will be releasing the next generation of iPads at MacWorld. When was the last time Apple released a major product at MacWorld? iPad is big enough to deserve its own event. But Fire or no Fire, it's not a bad guess that Apple will sooner or later adopt the same strategy they've used with their phones, selling last year's model at a discount. I don't think that many of the people who bought the Fire would have otherwise bought an iPad. On the other hand, it may be a way for some consumers to try out a pad for cheap--and then they may decide to give the kids the Fire and buy an iPad for themselves.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]trrll[/nom] On the other hand, it may be a way for some consumers to try out a pad for cheap--and then they may decide to give the kids the Fire and buy an iPad for themselves.[/citation]

True.... but if they are smart shoppers they may end up buying a Android Tablet so they can still use whatever they have bought for their Fire.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
[citation][nom]specialkindofdaft[/nom]And what can the ipad do that the fire cant, premium it maybe but you got to be a special kind of daft to spend an extra 200 odd for a similar functioning device[/citation]
It's got the Apple logo on it. That means it serves as a membership card to the apple club. The kindle is only useful if you actually use the device for it's intended purpose. If you want a "real" fashion accessory then you have no choice but to buy a gadget with the apple logo on it. The flock will banish you without your ID badge.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hey should keep in mind the Nook and Kindles dont have the memory, screen, CPU power, gpu power or cameras of an ipad2. They may sell a $300 8mb ipad2... Even $350 would be a fair price.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Amazon seem to be following the printer sales model. Most printers are sold cheap and the companies make their money selling the ink and toner the printers will later require. It is a sale model that works very well.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Isn't it waaaaaay more likely that people who bought inexpensive kindles at $200 (which run android) would have been more likely to buy one of the many available android tablet models for $300- $400, before they bought a $500 ipad?

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
people will always want a cheap device for tablet. with tablets like kindle fire, apple's overpriced fad/hype machine will die down. apple has nothing after ipad 2S/3, nothing new other than higher res. screen.
amazon is showing ther way to cheaper device.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Third- or fourth-posting the whole, "stolen from iPad" idiocy. That's really just crappy press right there, Ross. Don't belittle yourself so much - people are reading your articles and might actually think you're an idiot. And we both know you're not. You're better than that.

[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]It's got the Apple logo on it. That means it serves as a membership card to the apple club. The kindle is only useful if you actually use the device for it's intended purpose. If you want a "real" fashion accessory then you have no choice but to buy a gadget with the apple logo on it. The flock will banish you without your ID badge.[/citation]

Simply brilliant, Nurgle. Indeed, when was the last time you saw an Apple user actually "compute" anything? They can't even do math in the first place. There's no reason an Apple user actually needs a computer, except as a fashion statement.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Once again all the Apple haters show up for comments. I suspect the sales were "stolen" from all the other Android devices. Where are the sales figures for everyone else who was selling Android devices. The Kindle Fire is not in the same market space as the Ipad. I suspect Apple did just fine on sales of the Ipad 2. I do not own a Kindle Fire or and Ipad myself. I bought the HP touchpad during the fire sale and I am using Android on it as well as WebOS. Would have been a great device if HP had made it lighter and added an memory expansion slot. I suspect the Blackberry Playbook will "steal" a lot of sales from Kindle Fire during its fire sale.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
@ Maddad: You make a good point, almost, but really need to use question marks when phrasing questions. It's actually right next to the period key, just use Shift.

Of course the Fire is not in the same market space. People who intelligently purchase products based on the product's merit instead of the media hype are always going to get a better deal. The market spaces would be "intelligent, able to learn, free-thinking" and "imbeciles". Since there will always be more stupid people, the products that cater to them will always be more popular.

It's not about hate. You're implying people feel emotions for inferior, overpriced, underpowered devices. This is not new - it's the cornerstone of that company's sales model.

Status
Not open for further replies.