Kinect May Be Coming to Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]techseven[/nom]So what is the use of Kinect in phones?[/citation]
Single gesture to call / video call?
Better speech to text precision (since now you can capture both your mouth movement and voice) ?
Biometrics to unlock your smartphone?

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I would really like to know the application(s) for this in real-world tests. Can't think of any right now besides controlling your smart phone with "hand gestures", and even then I wouldn't want it. Or, having your phone run over a network to control another device, but still don't see any REAL uses for it. Unless there is something that WOWs me, and it's implemented completely right. I don't doubt right now this has some peoples gears turning to how things could work, but will it be "gimmiky" or be useful?

I hate already the transition from physical keyboards on phones. I will be buying only phones with physical keyboards till they are not produced anymore, but I think a demand will always be there for them, only time will tell.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]alikum[/nom]Single gesture to call / video call?Better speech to text precision (since now you can capture both your mouth movement and voice) ?Biometrics to unlock your smartphone?[/citation]
Funny you said this while I was writing my reply.

But, you would still have to "press something" before you can activate the Kinect camera.

But, didn't think of better voice to text. Not a horrible idea. But, that also means that the Kinect in these phones would be way superior to whats on the 360 today. Or it's as simple as programming it to capture your mouth, and not just all your limbs, which it does now.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]Funny you said this while I was writing my reply. But, you would still have to "press something" before you can activate the Kinect camera. But, didn't think of better voice to text. Not a horrible idea. But, that also means that the Kinect in these phones would be way superior to whats on the 360 today. Or it's as simple as programming it to capture your mouth, and not just all your limbs, which it does now.[/citation]
Yeap. We're talking about technology that will come in another few years. Everything is permitted =)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
How about kinect for smartphones to convert sign language into text or speech for the person and the other end.

Hows that for a practical use

What about gesture control so you dont get fingerprints all over the screen

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]What about gesture control so you dont get fingerprints all over the screen[/citation]
That comes with the territory, since the stylus is out of style now.

G

I am so tired of actually reading articles in depth and then realizing it is an toms style article that I cannot comment on.

G

@techseven

kinnect on the phone will have a different application then kinnect on an xbox or PC, this thing has depth of field perception, couple this with augmented reality and you got some rather interesting prospect, i dont believe kinnect on the phone will be used as a directly control interface for the phone. Just check out the kinnect hacks running around the internet, especially the ones where they using kinnect as a haptic device for an autonomous robot and your getting closer to what they may have in mind

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
While I fail to see the immediate use for it, I admit I'm not the most creative mind out there. Some things people have managed with the Kinect hacks are amazing.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
In terms of "gaming", you have a mobile Kinect interface, with phone and data. So anytime you say have Kinect based interests right, you can just you the new smartphone. For which of course smartphone features for the Kinect "device" and service will apply. Given that it probably wont be cheap, but will be at the same time. Given many decent camera features, i think only record in "blocks" to say, otherwise, its just a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.