Klipsch Promedia 2.1 came with left speaker's tweater damaged. Out of warranty, can I repair?

Timekeepsonslippin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
As the title says, the left speaker was damaged when it came in the box, I'm assuming during manufacture. It's been too long to return it I think but I've been noticing more recently that the left speaker is producing really tinny sounds that seem to cause ear pain during certain songs, even at low volumes. Other songs, usually with some kind of bass, but fairly rarely, it also seems to rattle where the right speaker doesn't.

I tried setting my music to mono just to make sure I was hearing the same thing out of both speakers, and while I can listen to the right speaker at high volumes without it hurting my ears, the left one gets really bad.

I'm not sure if I can buy a replacement piece if it's just like a plastic cover and fix it myself, if so I'd guess that should be pretty cheap and easy, assuming it's not too hairy dealing with the inside of the speakers and putting it back together without breaking anything.

It was the piece of plastic of the tweeter that was pushed in, and I'm not sure how that would happen since there's a pretty good plastic guard in front of it to prevent any of my fingers from getting through. I'm not sure if there could be any damage behind it too. I tried a method recommended on a website when I originally found that it had been pushed in, to try and make it the convex shape it should have been, but it was left with permanent indents in the creases that were created from being pushed in. It seems like a semi-stiff but still soft plastic.

If anyone knows the cheapest means of fixing it, or any deals on individual speakers that are the left speakers in the set, without the subwoofer, I'd appreciate any info you're able to share. Thanks.

it sounds like you may have a damaged tweeter.

from what i can tell its a microtractrix 25mm horn.

i have seen replacement tweeter horns for klipsch on the market but i have not seen any for this particular set. also they trend at around $20 pair for the ones i did see so my guess would be that they would not be cheap.

for about $25 on ebay you can get two used promedia speakers which might be your best bet. you can get rid of your broken speaker and replace it with these. you can use the third as a center channel or just keep it as a spare.

Timekeepsonslippin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
So I ended up just cutting about 10 or so pieces of paper together into the right shape, taping them over the tweeter, and the painful sound was not bothering me anymore. I've not noticed much of a drop in audio quality in general so I've just stuck with it so far. I've headphones if I need to listen to something in detail.

I've been wondering though, is it possible to keep the same subwoofer that this unit has, and mix it with higher quality speakers I can buy seperately, or am I limited to the same speakers the subwoofer came with? I may at some point want to buy new speakers to go along with the subwoofer that are of superior quality, just not sure if it will all be fully compatible.