Klipsch Promedia 2.1, I AM DISAPPOINT - feel free to share your view too.

Hype S

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
BEFORE YOU GET MAD AT ME, this is just my opinion and my taste of music isn't really accepted among my peers. so,, yes.

Who am I? just your average college student who doesn't like too much bass for music listening (for party yes it shakes dem boobs, but I'm not partying 24/7)
I hate boomy bass (i.e. typical "1000W" best buy car amp with cheap 2x12" with the rest of the OEM audio of Honda civic lol. Did I mention the amp @ full gain and no crossover setup whatsoever?)
I hate the sub playing bass notes. you're SUB woofer not midwoofer.

I can tell between 128 and 320Kbps MP3. When I was arguing that MP3 needs to be 3MB/minute, My friends called bullshit and bet her pretty Dr. Dre that I won't notice a difference between two songs. Well I did, but I let her keep it in return for a steak dinner. (college student, food>useless pair of red headphones)

I like CRYSTAL CLEAR vocal. I am not an audio expert so I'll just quote my experience. A show-winning audio shop let me hear his bench demo Focal KRX3 with single 12" JL sub from a CD. that clear. That was all I could ask for from a set of speakers. When I have my own house, I'm putting that thing in my computer room.

If Taylor Swift sounds irresistably sexy, it's a crappy speaker lol.. (try your laptop speakers or 26" CRT TV speakers)
If she sounds niceish, then it's a good speaker............... (don't ask)

Last but not least, I went $200 over my budget building my PC with SSD so no room for sound card. I just use Realtek ALC892 built on my motherboard.
System volume fixed@ 80%, I controlled volume only using the knob on the speakers.

ANYWAY.

While looking for a computer speaker for $150, many options crossed my mind.

1. Harman Kardon Soundsticks 3
- These used to be anywhere from 130 to 200 but it seems like some kind of price management has set it solid at $170

2. Klipsch Promedia 2.1
- The tried and true(?! true?) old one.

3. Class T2020 amp + bookshelf speaker + 100W self powered subwoofer mix & match.
- They weren't on sale lately so it was almost $200

4. Logitech whatever 2.1 they have now
- ehh, Logitech, jack of all peripherals, master at none. (It's a compliment. I use their wireless ergo keyboard and all-in-one receiver paired with both mouse and keyboard when I feel like staying in bed, and these are awesome)

5. Swan M10. Can't find these ANYWHERE except austraila.

6. Altec Lansing something. Their website didn't help much so I just didn't consider them seriously.

Reason why I chose Promedia 2.1

I own a pair of Klipsch earphones for my iPhone when I work out. It's called Reference S4i
Link : http://www.klipsch.com/reference-S4i-headphones

The earphones provides tight bass with no EQ needed for my taste. Audible bass but not annoying. Coming from Audio Technica ATH-A500x, Klipsch was (of course) worse in clarity but I put up with it for the mobility.
Actually I lost my ATH on board an airplane :( and was stuck with a free pair of Bose $100 ones and had a nice eargasm with the Klipsch S4i
SO given that certain brands have their own way of tuning their device,
BOSE : just stupid loud bass and "bose cool" factor
Audio Technica : clear clear crystal clear treble
SONY : boom boom pow

Anyway I thought I would give Klipsch another shot to make me c** because I liked the way their in-ear earphones were.

well.. not promedia.

MAYBE it's too early to tell since I just got them couple hours ago, but these are not worth 4.5/5 review TO ME.

Like : Tight-enough bass, warranty, cheapest of what I've been looking into, LOUD POTENTIAL VOLUME. I haven't gone there yet but I will once I use these for a week.

Dislike : I have to number them.
1. TOO LOUD SUBWOOFER. on a scale of 0-10 on the subwoofer dial, i'm at 0.5 maybe 1.

2. NOT the crisp-ish sound I had from S4i earphones. No eargasm.

3. maybe I'm expecting too much, but I don't get that "live concert" sensation when I listen to Tchaikovsky violin concerto (D major).
Trust me, it doesn't take much to make me feel like I'm at the concert. But these Klipschs can't do it.

4. (first world problem) I thought these would fit under monitors but can't mount properly because I have 3 27" monitors so they just lay on the desk sideways with the metal foot removed.

I keep saying it's just my taste that I don't like loud bass and would rather spend that wattage money on clearer 2 or 3 way drivers, because everyone I know loves big bass.

This Klipsch, sounds similar to my 2007 Acura TL's OEM car stereo minus the road noise (God I need more sound deadener. Honda and their road noise. Just nightmare. My max perf summer tires are to blame too. anyway back on topic). Namely Acura ELS 1st gen. Nothing too fancy but it's probably the best 200W class OEM stereo there ever was. But still nothing too fancy.
x2 1inch tweeter
x2 6.5 inch mid woofer
x2 6x9
x1 8" subwoofer
x1 3.5" (I think) for talking to built-in GPS

To conclude, these weren't anything special like the people on interwebz say. You get what you pay for $140 lol I shouldn't have expected $500+ clarity from these.
Klipsch should suck it up and stop being BOSE and sell these for 99.99 MSRP.
or use better satellite speakers.
I guess they had to BOOM BOOM this thing to make the general public happy. (Not that I'm anything special. I'm different in taste of bass)

I learned a lesson. The general public's positive reviews mean nothing if I have a taste.

I'm going to keep them unless someone can suggest a good set of components under $150 (I looked in to dayton b652, dayton amps, Lepai amps but I don't want to deal with returning and replacing and all that crap)

Please feel free to educate me on how to make these sound better or anything :)

Thanks for reading.

First of all you might have a good ear for sound which is a curse and a blessing. It isn't that hard to the tell the difference between 128 and 320Kps but I will bet you a steak dinner you would have a hard time telling the difference between 192/224Kbps and 320Kpbs. OF course I'm 52 years old so my ears aren't quite as good.

You always want to listening to speakers before you buy, lesson learned. People just have different preferences in sound. ALWAYS, the best thing to do is to find a good local stereo shop and check out the used section. Like you mention above with the Focals, my buddy has been making speakers for a hobby for over 20 years and built a subwoofer for me using a 12" JBL with a cabinet the size of refrigerator that provides clean bass.

With your budget, the only way you are going to get good sound is find some decent used bookshelf speakers and maybe add a sub/mid woofer later on.

Your options:

1: HK, they make good and reasonably priced electronics, but I have never heard their speakers.
2: Kilpsch's make everything from crap to excellent speakers. They have been around for 70 years.
3: The Dayton's combo with the T-amp might be a good option. You could just start out with 652s but with that amp it is for
low to medium volume listening. I assume you checked out parts express for these, they generally have the lowest price.
4: Logitech makes pretty good computer speakers but I'm not a fan of computer speakers. I'd rather put my money into better quality regular speakers. But they sound decent and are convenient.
5:Swan's, I think it is a discontinued product.
6:Altec Lansing/James B Lansing(JBL) Altec have been around for a long time and old Altec drivers( and JBL) go for big bucks. JBL has is an old company to that makes crap to excellent speakers.

With the Promedia(you may have to goto and DL the EQ if it wasn't included in the software) you will just have to fiddle around with EQ until you can make it sound the way you want it.

Options for other speakers in your price range:

Woot found these! Henry Kloss speakers, http://www.amazon.com/Henry-Kloss-B...374296904&sr=1-58&keywords=bookshelf+speakers
Top of the list and will need an amp. Henry Kloss was an excellent speaker designer. Most likely the best speaker in your price range and with 8" mid woofers they will give tight but not boomy bass. I'm pretty sure it doesn't include the sub in the pic.

Pioneer SP-BS22http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=250-656 Not a fan of most Japanese speakers but these have gotten great reviews. You will need amp.

M-Audio:http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=studiomonitors These are powered so no amp required.

Fluance speakers get good but mixed reviews( depending on the model) the SX6 fits into your price range but I would take the SP-BS22 or the Henry Kloss! over these.

Jamo speakers, depends like the Fluance average to good.

Audioengine good monitors in your price range.

I will name off a number of brands that make quality speakers but make some wallet friendly speakers;( No particular order)

Paradigm, Mission, Acoustic Research, NHT, Martin Logan, Polk( some are actually decent), B+W, Boston Acoustic Cambridge Audio, JBL, Klipsch, Infinity and the list goes on. You have to listen to them first so used/craigslist/ebay is your friend.

Have a happy audio journey, the Prisoner...

First of all you might have a good ear for sound which is a curse and a blessing. It isn't that hard to the tell the difference between 128 and 320Kps but I will bet you a steak dinner you would have a hard time telling the difference between 192/224Kbps and 320Kpbs. OF course I'm 52 years old so my ears aren't quite as good.

You always want to listening to speakers before you buy, lesson learned. People just have different preferences in sound. ALWAYS, the best thing to do is to find a good local stereo shop and check out the used section. Like you mention above with the Focals, my buddy has been making speakers for a hobby for over 20 years and built a subwoofer for me using a 12" JBL with a cabinet the size of refrigerator that provides clean bass.

With your budget, the only way you are going to get good sound is find some decent used bookshelf speakers and maybe add a sub/mid woofer later on.

Your options:

1: HK, they make good and reasonably priced electronics, but I have never heard their speakers.
2: Kilpsch's make everything from crap to excellent speakers. They have been around for 70 years.
3: The Dayton's combo with the T-amp might be a good option. You could just start out with 652s but with that amp it is for
low to medium volume listening. I assume you checked out parts express for these, they generally have the lowest price.
4: Logitech makes pretty good computer speakers but I'm not a fan of computer speakers. I'd rather put my money into better quality regular speakers. But they sound decent and are convenient.
5:Swan's, I think it is a discontinued product.
6:Altec Lansing/James B Lansing(JBL) Altec have been around for a long time and old Altec drivers( and JBL) go for big bucks. JBL has is an old company to that makes crap to excellent speakers.

With the Promedia(you may have to goto and DL the EQ if it wasn't included in the software) you will just have to fiddle around with EQ until you can make it sound the way you want it.

Options for other speakers in your price range:

Woot found these! Henry Kloss speakers, http://www.amazon.com/Henry-Kloss-B...374296904&sr=1-58&keywords=bookshelf+speakers
Top of the list and will need an amp. Henry Kloss was an excellent speaker designer. Most likely the best speaker in your price range and with 8" mid woofers they will give tight but not boomy bass. I'm pretty sure it doesn't include the sub in the pic.

Pioneer SP-BS22http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=250-656 Not a fan of most Japanese speakers but these have gotten great reviews. You will need amp.

M-Audio:http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=studiomonitors These are powered so no amp required.

Fluance speakers get good but mixed reviews( depending on the model) the SX6 fits into your price range but I would take the SP-BS22 or the Henry Kloss! over these.

Jamo speakers, depends like the Fluance average to good.

Audioengine good monitors in your price range.

I will name off a number of brands that make quality speakers but make some wallet friendly speakers;( No particular order)

Paradigm, Mission, Acoustic Research, NHT, Martin Logan, Polk( some are actually decent), B+W, Boston Acoustic Cambridge Audio, JBL, Klipsch, Infinity and the list goes on. You have to listen to them first so used/craigslist/ebay is your friend.

Have a happy audio journey, the Prisoner...

Edit: I suggest you download foobar2000 and the ABX comparator to and if if you really can hear the difference between bit rates and etc.
Foobar2000 link http://www.foobar2000.org/download
ABX add on link http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_abx

Hype S

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
The Henry Kloss looks sweet but they require minimum 15W .. That'd be another $100 for T amp that puts out 20-40W so,, I'm gonna have to wait till I get a new job near new school, and *drool* can't wait.

I listened to a cheap $50ish creative speakers and they're just horrible lol, makes the Klipsches sound wonderful (in comparison)

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
1st off U don't need to convince me the klipsch promedia 2.1's don't sound that great.... however the much better than the $50 creative speakers comment helps explain how the 2.1's have come to enjoy the reputation they have... i.e. they are good by pc speaker standards...but not that impressive by proper stereo gear standards.

you could run those henry kloss speakers fine with a little $20 lepai amp... (although i would still recommend a nice $70~ topping TP 20MKII or SMSL SA-S1 or SA-S3)

they recommend the 15watt min... but using near field at a pc you would likely never get more than a couple watts going through them.. U would want to be mindful of this bit of wisdom however if it starts sounding bad...turn it down....i.e. if you tried cranking say a lepai too much you might start clipping the speakers and burn a tweet or something.... but at reasonable volume levels it should be fine.

other speaker options to consider
Polk Monitor series (30's or 35b's)
or TSi100
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSi100-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00192KF12/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1374339966&sr=1-1&keywords=polk+audio

bic DV62si
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV62si-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00006JPDI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3

Mordaunt Short Carnival 1
http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=MORDCARN1CAL&gclid=CN_8gNHHvrgCFYp_QgodUR4Adg

bit more monies but very good
Cambridge S30 ($220)
http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-Speakers-Dark-Pair/dp/B004NDN9NK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_6

the micca motion MB42 (currently out of stock again)
Micca Motion Series MB42

and there are many more

when searching t-amps doubtless the dayton B652s will be mentioned frequently you will notice I didn't list those... because dayton changed manufactures and the newer production b652's are much less good than older models ..so imho pass on those entirely now.

nearfield you may or may not feel you need a sub with any of the speakers I have listed...if i was me I'd try the t-amp + bookshelf speakers and if I felt the need for a sub later I'd add on then.

also used speakers can be a good deal (as can used receivers -- if you have the room)

even now I'm listening to a rather awesome Kenwood KR-V106R (100WPC) $20 really nice condition and $40~ JBL J2050 speakers .. also in excellent shape and nice sounding for my $60 I'm quite pleased.

pics:

oh and I also forgot to mention I have THIS... Onkyo M5030 (dual mono 100WPC) amp / P3030 (preamp) and T-4087 tuner) (and unpictured EQ-35) $20 paid for the lot of it works great... also pictured JBL L1s $40 paid and Hitachi PS-48 turntable $20

x0ip.jpg

Hype S

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
^ Question.

1. BIC speaker goes down all the way to 43Hz, Looks like I won't NEED need a sub, correct?
(I am only looking for the thump of kick bass drum. No need to shake the apartment walls down.)
If this is the case, Klipsch is going back to best buy. I don't need 130W of booming subwoofer.

2. which of the 3 amps you mentioned would you recommend for reliability??

lastly, 3.

I have a really weird question.

When mine wears out, can i throw out the pair of drivers and add my own driver like atari said? lol....... I like the (relatively, in this price range) low THD level @ full peak power of klipsch.

these put out 35W peak to each driver

For sure you can swap out drivers but it isn't that simple. You have to figure in the size of the cabinets, the crossover being used and if both drivers match up well. If you go into the Dayton forums, many people upgrade those. Talking about the Dayton's, I have also read about changing manufactures but I have seen some talk on the forums about Parts Express and Dayton have fixed that issue. Who knows though. I do know a friend of mine purchased some for his son a few months ago and they sounded great for the price.

I was going to recommend the Micas also but they have been out of stock forever.

Hype S

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
^ Ah, well Looks like I can't just stick in a new set of drivers i like....

Prisoner, what do you think of the question 1 in the post right above your latest post?? because,,,,,, for the eargasmic clarity - like I said, it doesn't take much to satisfy me - I am willing to live a week off of ramen noodles and shell out $40 more for the pair of drivers and a decent class T amp and NO SUB (totalling under 200). yes NO SUB if the low frequency response can handle the oomph thump I want.

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
if you are buying bookshelf speakers for your pc you can often get away without having a sub....i.e. nearfield the lack of lowend on many bookshelf speakers is less of an issue...

or alternately if you try it...and think...MAN I need sub... u can save up a bit and add a sub at any point later.

I have to admit these really need a sub but I recently got an amazing imaging / clarity set of NHT SuperZero's (the current ones are 2.1's and cost about $99ea from nht's website i think they are clearing out old stock 2.0's however for $60 each...

of course the catch is these just have zero low end... NHT makes are a really nice super8 sub basically for these but it is about $350~

I'm going to get the NHT sub for mine... (or a used NHT sub if i can find the right deal...atm i'm using a polk sub with them however..

I really like these NHT's however

http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-speaker-SuperZero-2-1?sc=12&category=3772

but oh right back to the op's questions

of the 3 t-amps i mentioned .... I own a SMSL SA-S3 I have had mine (and use it frequently for about 1.5years) I got mine w/ liteon 4A psu off ebay for about $60~ (shipped) mine has been perfect so I'd have no problems recommending it...sounds very good as well...but the other two the SA-S1 or topping TP 20MKII also excellent choices .... really just a matter of personal preference any of those should be great t-amps and basically i do not think you could go wrong with any of them.

as far as the bic's go I think you could get by without a sub... like I mentioned before you can try it and if the low end isn't cutting it add a sub later...

that is what is awesome about going bookshelf + amp you can replace one piece or the other down the road or add stuff on..

you go w/ powered monitors and something breaks or you want a change later you basically have to start over.

Hype S

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Thanks for getting back atari.
Modular design is awesome. Even the army realized it and modulized main battle tanks lol.

also, we seem to agree the klipsch isn't that great. (I would say it's ok. but it's still not that great), after 12 hours of "breaking in" i'm noticing the snare drum beat isn't as snappy as it should be.
It feels like a air inflated ball rather than soild rubber ball.

so,,, in terms of "greatness" or the clarity I love, and the snappy clean sound,, would you say these will cut it?
I was on the website you got mordaunt off and found these for same price. What do you think of these?

more expensive original tag lol
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/TEACLSH265A/TEAC-LS-H265-2-Way-5-1/4-in-Reference-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair/1.html

or

I like 3 way,, but I don't know anything about home audio.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/YAMNS6490/YAMAHA-NS-6490-3-Way-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair-Black/1.html

or

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSRS230GB/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-RS230-Reflection-Series-Bookshelf-Speaker-Each-Black/1.html#!specifications
I like Boston because my mom's car had boston speakers from factory and it was really tasty (not "high end" but I liked it. so tasty)

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
but really do not discount finding used speakers they can be such an awesome value

these are the used /vintage speakers i have (a few of them have a ding or two but accoustically good (noted w/ * and a couple I had to replace the surrounds but now work awesome (noted with **)) I have noted the price i paid...however my special skill seems to be getting stupid good deals on audio gear so.... you might get as lucky or maybe not??? but u could probably find some deals..

so blah blah blah..

I have the following bookshelf ~ish sized speakers

JBL L1s $40 (made in USA) (basically my favorites just about)

JBL J2050 $40 (made in USA) (love these)

Klipsch KG 2.5's $50 (made in USA ) (near mint love these also)

Bang & Olufsen RL 60.2 $60 made in denmark

B&W V202 $20 made in UK *slight ding on back of one

realistic minimus 77 $10 ** made in japan (needed $5 refoam kit for surrounds)
realistic minimus 7's $12
teac LS-MC80 $5

(all 3 of the last mentioned items are rather compact and work well for space limited set ups... and are good sounding speakers my wife uses the teac's with a Pioneer SX-450 she loves it. ... she had been using the Minimus 77's but when she saw the teac's she wanted them so I gave them to her for her pc.

let's see what else???

not at all bookshelf but I did get some rather nice DCM Timeframes (TF-250) for $25 a couple weeks ago...these are awesome sounding speakers.

oh right and $10 advent 9's ** and $8 surround kit...

Hype S

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
woot woot.

I found a JBL J2050 used on ebay for $70 shipped. I have always been wary of buying anything used if I'm not at least semi-pro in the field and, I am just a total noob in speakers so... I guess I'll be googling for used speaker buying tips..

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
i honestly have not heard any of those 3 however ... they could all be ok ....I generally like Yamaha stuff they seem to know audio... the teac's look similar to the old teac's I have which (mine) make excellent pc speakers my wife love them as her pc speakers.

the BA look pretty decent also...

I'm a huge fan of used I have less than $300 into all of the used / vintage speakers I listed in my last post and quite a few of them will pretty much pound on about any $99 ~ish new speakers all day long... but otoh you kind of have a metric f*** ton of decent $100~ish speakers to choose from

I kind of like the uk sound so the carnival 1s would be high on my considerations as would the $60 a piece clearance NHT's

http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-speaker-SuperZero-2-0

IF I could find a sub / afford a sub to go with them... cause they need one...

i think the problem is there isn't a bad speaker mentioned in this (except maybe depending on who you ask the new dayton's ... i didn't love them before so i'm not the one to ask i guess.)

if you have a fry's near you ...u could here some polks and jbl's (i think fry's has the loft40's on sale this week) and infinity's and klipsch... they also have some martin logan's i think... and some sony booksshelf speakers (Just ignore those however...imho)

it would be good if you could hear stuff before buying cause this can be (is) subjective ...so what sounds amazing to me might not be your cup of tea and all... but some of these are going to be harder to hear before buying' than others.

Hype S

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sealed looks gooooooooood.

Unfortunately nearest Fry's from me is 3 hours drive one-way.... $50 in gas leaves me,,,,,, $100 to buy speakers xD

Those NHTs, they're technically $200's speakers right..? because it's 120 (it was) each..
I almost clicked Buy It Now for JBL J2060 on ebay then I saw those are sealed.

How do you think they compare NOT as in taste, but as in general quality?

@op

i personally tried the promedia 2.1 years ago when i was searching for a sound system for my pc. while the build quality is generally good they sound like crud. i ended up moving to the home theater lineup of klipsch speakers instead (quintet iv). honestly the promedia is so bad i dont consider it as part of klipsch speakers. i just ignore it.

you are correct... logitech is a jack of all trades. i wouldnt consider any of their speakers (except their top of the line model) as anything other than "decent" however most people arent as discerning with their audio. if you search around you can find their top of the line set on ebay sometimes for your budget. its plug and play and sounds good for your budget. z906 i think its called.

going with a home theater 2.0 or 2.1 setup is going to be tight for $250 unless you buy used as atarione suggests. there is nothing wrong with going with older used speakers though as you can do rather well. good audio can be had for a song if you know where to look (and based on the other thread he was in with me i know he does know where to look!).

at that level of budget you're looking at either satelites or bookshelf speakers typically unless you know of a few gems.

not sure how you feel about this option but i'll list it anyways since i was impressed with the value (one of those gems i spoke of). sony floorstanding speakers can be had for about $100-150 (which leaves 100-150 for an amp/receiver). two come in a box. we bought my parents a set for christmas and they work suprisingly well for the price. while perhaps not as crystal as my klipsh set (which cost 5x more) they work great. good boomy bass (i know you said you dont need this but it can provide it) as well as suprisingly clear vocals and highs. honestly i thought the price was so good i bought two boxes thinking only one speaker came in each! (but i ended up returning a box since two came in a box).

just a few suggestions.

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003

oh yeah the nht's would be $200 for the current series or $120 for the clearance ones (they are priced ea)

the J2060's should be nice.... The J series JBL's are genreally not as highly regarded as the L series but my J2050's sound really nice ... set to the sides of my monitors they are front ported which helps if you need to put them near a wall can do so w/out messing with the sound ...

depents on how much money they cost you i'm very happy w/ my J2050's for the $40 i paid.

it is best when buying used speakers to see them in person (ideally hooking them up) but worst case checking the surrounds and general condition.... u also need to keep an eye out for things that have been replaced some older speakers may have had woofer's or tweeters blown at some point and no orig parts may have been installed. If they are older speakers there is also some change the crossover's may need attention (recapped)

Hype S

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Hmm.ssddx, ytou didn't tell me which Sony it is :) tell mee!

I had a good night's sleep, and I guess what i'm looking for is
first, satisfy me
second, people say "hm not bad, how much was it?" and I tell them $200 and their jaw drops. so I could say i'm looking for best bang for the buck in under 200 for clarity and cleanliness.

I should really avoid these forums. they always make me open the wallet haha

To answer the question about will you need a sub, possibly. you have to remember that cheap speakers like the BIC's and Dayton's is that they are pretty good speakers for the price. When they furnish stats for these speakers(many speaker manufactures do this) you have to really see( ideally hear) what are their measurements since they tend to fudge the stats. Will they go down to 43Hz, yes/maybe but will that be a good sound 43Hz, probably not. The reason most speakers can use a sub is to take the strain off the mid range drivers/midwoofers so they can do their thing.

For the price, I think the Kloss's are your best choice having heard many of his speakers over the years but I haven't heard these speakers. Like we have repeated, used is a good choice. You need to find a local stereo shop that sells new/used speakers and listen to them, take them home and listen again. I think you will find these guys really know their stuff and love to show the equipment off. If it is a slow day sometimes you can literally spend a few hours evaluating the equipment. I would suggest bringing in your own music to get a good comparison. Take your time unless you are in a hurry for some reason.

Happy audio journey, the Prisoner...

Hype S

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I hate all of you lol I decided to get the NHT pair and ebay T amp.

now I'm shopping for a CLEAN sounding subwoofer and they're all 200+ dollars :( Dayton subs are cheap but only highschool kids seems to like it for party when parents go out of town)

(hopefully) FINAL QUESTION.

Can I hook up those NHT speakers to replace Krapish satellites?

Yes your mobo should be able to do that. A mini stereo(3.5) to rca red/white(red is left, white is right) cable to the amp, monoprice and parts express have good cable deals. If you add a sub, same kinda cable but you only plug one into the sub, Onboard software allows you to swap center/sub. I recommend downloading the RealTek EQ software.

The NHT speakers in question, I'm sure are good(haven't heard them but I have heard many NHT speakers and own some, bought used for cheap. I have a NHT center channel for my PC setup) but won't give you much bass compared to the Kloss's.

The problem with subs is that for really clean bass(if you want some loud clean bass), you need a big cabinet(sealed) like my setup I mentioned above. There is a reason that manufactures use ports on speakers. It allows them to get a deeper bass(lower Hz) sound using a small cabinet. My problem with ports it kinda makes them sound "puffy"; I hear the air being sucked in and out. Having said that, there are different schools of thought on all speaker designs. And that would be a whole another story!!! The Dayton's might sound good to you so it might be a good buy, If I were in your position, I would check them out.

I will say it again and again, listen before you buy and buy used. My local stereo shop offers full trade in value on what I buy. So if I buy a 200.00 amp, and decide a year later to buy something else, I can turn that amp in and get 200.00 of trade in. It is how I built my various systems over the years. Thrift shops and garage sales are great, they take some more effort but you can find cheap deals (ebay sucks now but craig's list can be ok)

Happy audio journey, the Prisoner...