Klipsch speakers distorted/muffled/popping, when I play with Yamaha PURE SOUND option they play fine, otherwise they do not

Michael Floyd

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
I have a 1997 Yamaha receiver and Klipsch speakers. When I play with the Yamaha pure sound option the sound is fine. However if that is not pressed the sound is muffled and makes awful popping sound when I adjust volume. My speaker wire is I think Monster cable with pin connectors instead of spliced wires. I removed the pins from one end and spliced them and it still does this. Any ideas?

Solution
Pure Sound bypasses tone controls and other receiver functions so that the music does not have to pass through additional circuitry that you aren't actually using. If the receiver were surround sound it would bypass the additional processing for that.
Speaker wire doesn't have anything to do with it.

Michael Floyd

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

Thank you. I think it has been doing this since I purchased the unit years ago. I just never did anything as I mostly listened using Pure Sound. I guess I could simply not do anything. So,'pure sound' what is that exactly? Someone suggested to me is was the speaker wire itself? I just use it for music. It doesn't have 'surround sound' I don't believe.

Pure Sound bypasses tone controls and other receiver functions so that the music does not have to pass through additional circuitry that you aren't actually using. If the receiver were surround sound it would bypass the additional processing for that.
Speaker wire doesn't have anything to do with it.

Solution