Klipsh ProMedia 2.1 vs Custom Setup

CodeLee

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
I'm trying to decide on a new pair of 2.1 computer speakers and have done a decent amount of research trying to make a decision. I'm torn between getting the Klipsh ProMedia 2.1, or just purchasing a Dayton DTA Class T Amp, a pair of bookshelf speakers (looking at the Dayton B652, but very open to suggestions) and a decent 10inch subwoofer (also looking at Dayton, but again open to suggestions).

I'll primarily use these for listening to music, but also for gaming and possibly TV and movies. So basically everything. I honestly don't know where I fall in terms of my scrutiny of audio quality. Definitely wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I appreciate good sound. My price range is $100 - $200, but I'm flexible if I can get something better for a little extra. Basically want the best bang for my buck. I'm obviously willing to put a little work into the setup if it means getting great performance for the value.

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions! Thanks in advance!!!

Solution
i've owned the promedia in the past. i had it for a day before i returned it and ended up buying a different klipsch setup.

what i liked: very solidly built, good quality audio, decent aesthetics
what i did not like: subwoofer is way too big and overpowers the satellites, uses speaker wire type connectors

its not a bad sounding system if you keep the subwoofer on minimum but i felt for the money spent i should not have to do that. on reason why i went with a klipsch speaker setup was because of how impressed i was. i ended up with the quintet satellites paired up with a 450w subwoofer and have been happy since. photo in signature link if you care.

the dayton dta120 is a nice little amp. we have one powering a set of hk thirty tallboy...
i've owned the promedia in the past. i had it for a day before i returned it and ended up buying a different klipsch setup.

what i liked: very solidly built, good quality audio, decent aesthetics
what i did not like: subwoofer is way too big and overpowers the satellites, uses speaker wire type connectors

its not a bad sounding system if you keep the subwoofer on minimum but i felt for the money spent i should not have to do that. on reason why i went with a klipsch speaker setup was because of how impressed i was. i ended up with the quintet satellites paired up with a 450w subwoofer and have been happy since. photo in signature link if you care.

the dayton dta120 is a nice little amp. we have one powering a set of hk thirty tallboy bookshelves in the other room and it does a standup job. the led light is BRIGHT though so you may want to marker over it to dim it. another option instead of going that route is to just get some powered speakers.

b652 had their ups and downs. at one point they were good, at another they werent. i think they may be decent again however there are still better choices. the pioneer bs22 are excellent for the price, the micca mb42 are also not bad. if you can afford it, some budget klipsch bookshelves are also stellar sounding.

if you went with a self powered route, the micca pb42x, mackie r3/cr4, m-audio av30/av40 are good. the audioengine a2 are also good but i know they are picky about placement. swan has some good speakers as well but those are likely out of budget.

as for subwoofers, the best budget ones would be daytons sub-xxxx series. polks psw-10 is also not bad but will be less powerful. do remember than any high output subwoofer is going to cost much more than your whole setup (my 450w klipsch was $350-400 and that is still cheap for subs). the ones from dayton will provide more than enough kick for most rooms though. larger bookshelf speakers also generally go down into at least mid-bass levels.

Solution

CodeLee

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
Thanks a lot for all the info ssddx! This has given me some more to think about, but I'd rather have a lot of information than too little. I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to putting together a decent speaker system so I really appreciate the help. I'll share what I decide to go with once I've purchased everything and put it together!