Kodak Had a Nuclear Reactor in NY for Nearly 30 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

and people complain nucleur power is dangerous and will kill us all

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]WATlol[/nom]and people complain nucleur power is dangerous and will kill us all[/citation]

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nuclear-energy-advocates-insist-us-reactors-comple,19740/

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Wow, that's pretty cool.
If a camera company could make a nuclear reactor, what has Apple been doing...?

Mwahahaw.. (Just kidding)

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
What other companies have secret nuclear reactors in their basements? This is a photo company, not one you'd think would have such a thing. I doubt Kodak security was military grade. If someone wanted, they probably could have stolen the enriched uranium for a bomb.

G

It is a very, very, very small reactor. A small research reactor like a 250KW TRIGA II is a 1000 time big. Kodak likely needed a small neutron source for testing.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Perhaps the solution Kodak's financial problems is to move to Iran. I'm sure Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will love Kodak printers.

/sarcasm

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Conspiracy nuts: insane story behind this
Kodak: does this because they can
Regular Joe: less than 2 minutes of thoughts on the topic then something else takes over

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
so why does such a company like KODAK need a nuclear reactor? no matter how big or how small it's unacceptable...how are they going to get rid of it and clean up now that they are completely bankrupt?

G

Maybe they were testing the film to see how it can withstand a nuclear fallout :) That's the only way i can make sense of it.

everix

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]so why does such a company like KODAK need a nuclear reactor? no matter how big or how small it's unacceptable...how are they going to get rid of it and clean up now that they are completely bankrupt?[/citation]

You're a moron. It clearly says in the article that it was dismantled in 2006 and they weren't bankrupt (or hadn't filed for it) until this year.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]so why does such a company like KODAK need a nuclear reactor? no matter how big or how small it's unacceptable...how are they going to get rid of it and clean up now that they are completely bankrupt?[/citation]
Must not have read the part about dismantling it in 2006?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Would be kind of difficult since no one knew about it.[/citation]
Kodak knew about it. The fact that the info didn't leak doesn't legitimize having one.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Kodak supplies film for x-ray and nuclear medicine studies, and the reactor was for research. There is also a reactor at PennState University. It is used for research. I saw it in 82. A friend of mine was touring it for a class and I tagged along. We were able to get within a few ft of the containment pool, and could see the greenish/yellow glow. Thats probably why my kids are the way they are..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.