Kodak Selling Off Iconic Photography Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Now that they are selling out everything the only thing that will remain are the lawyers for future patent trolling... they already tried to sue a few companies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Maybe this will open a spot for Polaroid's to make a comeback. While digital camera's are grand, there was just something awesome about a polaroid that nothing digital will ever replace and you didn't have to worry about that picture of you in handcuffs, a gimp mask and a ball gag getting emailed to everyone in the office....

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Yet another US manufacturer who missed the boat.
Not much left that is actually "Made in the USA".
We are becoming a country of Bankers, Lawyers and Burger Flippers.

We are exporting raw materials and importing finished goods; the prime definition of a 3rd world country.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Maybe this will open a spot for Polaroid's to make a comeback. While digital camera's are grand, there was just something awesome about a polaroid that nothing digital will ever replace and you didn't have to worry about that picture of you in handcuffs, a gimp mask and a ball gag getting emailed to everyone in the office....[/citation]
Polaroid went down way before Kodak did

damric

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Now this is the Kodak moment we have all been waiting for.

Kodak hasn't been relevant since...

It's been so long I can't remember.

damric

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Yet another US manufacturer who missed the boat.Not much left that is actually "Made in the USA".We are becoming a country of Bankers, Lawyers and Burger Flippers.We are exporting raw materials and importing finished goods; the prime definition of a 3rd world country.[/citation]

Yup. Sad.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Look at the Wright Brothers airplane business. You know, the guys who invented powered flight.
They made the bulk of WWII fighter planes for the USA, after the war - they couldn't transition into fighters/jet planes compared to other companies. The last plane they built was in the early-mid 50s.

They are actually a profitable company today... building components for airplanes.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
End of an era. It would've been nice to see them transform to a dSLR corporation but given the huge hurdles and the massive lead Nikon/Canon/Pentax has in the dSLR market, I'd imagine it doesn't make fiscal sense.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Eddieroolz: Kodak was never a leader in SLR cameras. They were in the film/print/paper business. They made a boat load of money selling one-time-use film cameras (remember those back in the 90s?) Their main market was P&S cameras as a starter / kids / general users... who may grow up to buying SLRs. Fujifilm has long ago transition their company off of film/print as their primary. They have a sold line of digital and DSLR cameras, they sell industrial and medical class equipment (something that Kodak is attempting in a small way).

Back in 2002 - visiting my little sister up north, I brought along my $400 Canon 2MP camera. She told me "Digital will never replace film" I laughed and told her... "give it a few years". By the mid 2000s, film was in trouble. Its sad to see FILM go... there maybe a use for FILM for certain things... but not much. Even to a seasoned photographer - the point is the PHOTO, not the mechanics of how you got it. And since most pros work with Photoshop (or similar) software - you don't end up degrading your photo by having to SCAN the negatives/prints into your computer.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Eddieroolz: Kodak was never a leader in SLR cameras. They were in the film/print/paper business. They made a boat load of money selling one-time-use film cameras (remember those back in the 90s?) Their main market was P&S cameras as a starter / kids / general users... who may grow up to buying SLRs. Fujifilm has long ago transition their company off of film/print as their primary. They have a sold line of digital and DSLR cameras, they sell industrial and medical class equipment (something that Kodak is attempting in a small way).Back in 2002 - visiting my little sister up north, I brought along my $400 Canon 2MP camera. She told me "Digital will never replace film" I laughed and told her... "give it a few years". By the mid 2000s, film was in trouble. Its sad to see FILM go... there maybe a use for FILM for certain things... but not much. Even to a seasoned photographer - the point is the PHOTO, not the mechanics of how you got it. And since most pros work with Photoshop (or similar) software - you don't end up degrading your photo by having to SCAN the negatives/prints into your computer.[/citation]

i still want digital film for cameras... i could get my hands on some old slr bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.