KRACK Attack Hacks All Wi-Fi Networks: What to Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevendbritten

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
Nice photo demonstrating improper usage of a laptop - sitting on top of a soft, cushioned laptop bag which blocks the heat flow. Good job! This article falls into that "let's teach hackers new tricks and give them new ideas by revealing all kinds of juicy details" category. Irresponsible journalism at its finest.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

You'd rather not know about this flaw? Go ahead and be our guest. Also, that photo shows a laptop on top of a white metal lattice-work table, not a cushion. You can see light shining through the holes in the lattice.

ben.d.shields

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
I enjoyed the summary of this research, and the links to learn more.
@Stevendbritten The article certainly doesn't 'teach hackers' anything more than Vanhoef's website, paper, or demo... I would also argue that consumers need to be informed to update routers/devices, and software developers can benefit from the new idea.
@Paul Wagenseil The laptop is most certainly on top of a laptop bag, and the laptop bag on top of the table. And Steven said the bag is cushioned, not that it is a cushion. So... there's truth in what both of you said? Haha, I find it to be a hilarious point of contention concerning its irrelevance to the article.

Thank you for your writing Paul.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

I took another look, you're right about the laptop bag. I didn't spot it earlier. Well ... all I can say it's that it's a stock image.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

Thanks, yes, that's why I put the URL in there. Our site appends a Google Analytics tag to external links, and sometimes that breaks the functionality of the destination website. I'm trying to work with our development team to get that fixed or at least mitigated. But I wanted to keep the link in there because I think it's useful.

jtb122536

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
Actually, Paul, it DOES look like the laptop is sitting on the bag which is sitting on the table which probably has a glass top to prevent a glass of wine from tipping if the base were to fall into one of the lattice openings. I AM pleased that you wrote about this vulnerablilty though. 8^) Thanks for the article. Hopefully, the manufacturers are jumping on the firmware upgrades.

genej101

Honorable
Aug 16, 2015
Yeah, that is a stock photo alright. That's a model. Horrible ergonomics and anyone actually working in that position for long would be hurting - or fired considering the way she's set up anything confidential is clearly visible to anyone passing by. People use women's bodies to sell everything these days even security advice - any idea how many women actually work in the STEM sector? Sigh... It does draw a guys eye, but isn't very respectful, not in this particular day and age.

VagabondSteve

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Valuable information that causes no one to commit bad acts. Thanks Paul.
The bug was discovered in August by "white hats" and like all security flaws it will be overcome.

Do you really think the laptop OR the model as salient? Who cares? Trying to be clever about the photo when you KNOW it's a model is really a reach for adults as is thinking it disrespects women in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.