Question L390 wont boot when charger is connected. Remove charger and boots straight away.

Mar 2, 2020
Hello.

I have Lenovo Thinkpad L390. When i restart OS the laptop shuts down but wont restart. Machine is on but screen is black. When i remove the charger, it boots right away and works like a charm. No error's are given when i connect the charger.

Edit: i have already opened the laptop and discharged bios battery, no help.
Edit2: when it shutsdown and wont start, theres a led in FN Lock and F1 keys.
Edit3: If i shutdown the machine and then push power button it starts normally. So this only occurs on restart

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020
Did a different charger get you the same issue?

edit:
reinstall all drivers from the Lenovo homepage

eventually factory reset the laptop

Other than that, replace the battery
Actually did all these already. I also replaced the battery from another machine working fine and got same results. So its not the battery.

Have also tried with Windows 10 and Kali

Mar 2, 2020
Update the BIOS if available
Also heres the edits on my original post:

Edit: i have already opened the laptop and discharged bios battery, no help.
Edit2: when it shutsdown and wont start, theres a led in FN Lock and F1 keys.
Edit3: If i shutdown the machine and then push power button it starts normally. So this only occurs on restart

Mar 8, 2020
Bios is showing R10ET43W (1.28)
I had this problem when rebooting shutting down / starting Linux (Ubuntu), Windows 10 was working fine. I found the following:

BIOS 1.28 is the problem. Downgrade to eg. BIOS 1.27, and everything works just fine. Hope Lenovo will fix this in next BIOS release.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020
Hello again. Thanks for this. It helped but not anymore. Also i bought another similar machine and voila, the problem is also in this machine!!!! Its nice to boot remotely and find out it hanged in boot cause of a charger...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hello again. Thanks for this. It helped but not anymore. Also i bought another similar machine and voila, the problem is also in this machine!!!! Its nice to boot remotely and find out it hanged in boot cause of a charger...
Is this second system located at the same place as the first system? If so, are they both using the same electrical source?

This seems like a possible power source issue. The likelihood of two systems, this far apart in time, having the same issue is quite small.

Reactions: helpstar