laptop 3.5mm audio out damaged when connecting to amp and mixer?

Tomaquet

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
I connected my laptop to an amplifier and mixer via the 3.5mm stereo mini jack audio output. At first the sound worked, then somebody started to move cables (to the mixer) around to try other channels in the mixer. The sound stopped working and she said she'd ask a technician later.

When I got home, I connected speakers to the 3.5mm stereo out and sound only came from the right channel and a loud hiss from the left. Is it possible that connecting to the amp and mixer damaged my stereo jack connector? (some power surge of some sort?)

(The laptop speakers work fine with no hiss. I've also tried other headphones in the mini jack and they have the hiss too.)

Thanks for any help!

Louise Porkolt

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
hi there,

It is possible that when different machines on different outlets (120-230V) can make differential (delta300) jump off, creating a surge (voltage goes down so amps go up).
I don't know if you understand this, it's about electricity. If there is electricity loss the differential will jump to OFF.
If 2 devices are connected to 2 different circuits and you connect them (with example given: audio cable) then it is possible that there is electricity loss on 1 circuit and more on the other. I had this with a laptop connected to a video camera years ago. I busted the audio on that laptop.
You should check the devices if they were linked like described above.

Also you could try to reinstall the drivers or check the sound settings !

Let us know.
Cheers, Louise.

Tomaquet

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
Hi Louise,

Thanks for your reply

Yes, the amp and laptop were plugged into different sockets - but not sure if the sockets were on the same circuit. I guess they were the same circuit seeing as the sockets were near each other. Should I have ensured that they were plugged into the same socket via a multi-socket adapter?

I tried that already but the problem remains.

Thanks for your help

Louise Porkolt

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
It's better to plug them into the same outlet (circuit) you never know which outlet is same circuit then another outlet in same room !
In my country you can have 8 outlets in 1 circuit. multi-socket would have been ok !
Do you think that there was a surge ?

A way to test is to plug in another harddrive and install windows on it ! if sound is ok then it's a software issue. If sound is not ok, it's hardware.

Good luck and let us know.
Cheers, Louise.