Laptop ~60 C on idle, simple tasks is normal?

Blitz Blitz

Estimable
May 18, 2015
Hi, I repaste my cpu and gpu with arctic silver 5, but I think is still run too hot, or maybe its normal for laptops? My cpu runs about 60 degrees celsius, and gpu about 40, on idle, simple tasks, it's can be overheating problem, or something?

Solution

Yeah, this can be the case too. Maybe the BIOS is configured so that it'll activate full fan speed after 80º so they're not working at it's full capacity. You could tweak your BIOS a bit to see if that's the case.

It may or may not improve the temps. But as a general rule, just check if there's any dust on the fans, if not and your fans are working, your pc is in it's safe spot.

manddy123

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Which GPU & CPU does it have? Some of them heat more than others.
Are you blocking the airflow from going out, like using the laptop with a pillow under it or something like that?

When you do heavy tasks, to how much does the temps go?

manddy123

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

That's not a very high temperature, it won't cause direct damage to your laptop, though i'd recommend see if there's any dust cloggin up the air vents or coolers inside it.

The temps depends heavily on the structure/design of the laptop's some has a better air flow, some hasn't.
But 'till 80°C it's not a big deal, above that i'd suggest lowering down those game settings to avoid shortening the life span of the laptop.

As i mentioned, always use it without a pillow or something beneath it and you'll be good to go.

grmnlxndr

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Also, take a look if your coolers are running, perhaps it isn't running (or running slow) because it not too hot enough to make ir run (faster).
If you have those temps with full speed fans, that could mean a temperature problem, most probably dust in the dissipaters.

manddy123

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Yeah, this can be the case too. Maybe the BIOS is configured so that it'll activate full fan speed after 80º so they're not working at it's full capacity. You could tweak your BIOS a bit to see if that's the case.

It may or may not improve the temps. But as a general rule, just check if there's any dust on the fans, if not and your fans are working, your pc is in it's safe spot.

Solution

grmnlxndr

Honorable
May 17, 2012

Exactly, also there are some options under power management in Windows, where you can select active or passive cooling (I think they only name that way, because it wont be passive, but more probably it will reduce the fan speeds as possible).