Laptop a/c adapter pin too hot, Burnt my hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

azed3000

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hey guys as the title suggests my a/c adapter plug (the part that plugs into the laptop) is getting wayy too hot. I ended up replacing 3 adapters cause it kept overheating and the tip kept melting. I even replaced the battery but the laptop charger tip is still getting red hot.

The actual adapter brick is fine, its just the tip, and it gets so hot that the laptop stops charging and windows says the charger has been disconnected when it actually hasnt. If i unplug the adapter then plug it back in, its fine for like 1 minute, then straight away it burns up super quick. Anyone know why this is? Other forums suggested replacing the battery so thats what i did, but had no luck, I need this laptop for uni and i have all my files on it so i cant really send it in for repair. Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this?

Cheers

Solution
If all the 3 adapters were used with their own end cable (meaning different tips to the laptop), you can eliminate the adapter side as problem. Battery replacement didn't do any good, then the isolated part is the laptop itself. Symptom seems to be caused by over-current. Of the laptop, you can think about the following components as suspects:

- Software: Most laptops have built-in charging algorithms. Rarely this can malfunction, failing to oversee charging cycle. Locate it, and update to the latest driver.

- Other hardware: Run a diagnostic program monitoring hardware temperature. CPU/HDD/Memory/Board can be overheated, transferring the heat to the cable tip.

- Plug port may be obstructed by some foreign object...

MKBL

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
If all the 3 adapters were used with their own end cable (meaning different tips to the laptop), you can eliminate the adapter side as problem. Battery replacement didn't do any good, then the isolated part is the laptop itself. Symptom seems to be caused by over-current. Of the laptop, you can think about the following components as suspects:

- Software: Most laptops have built-in charging algorithms. Rarely this can malfunction, failing to oversee charging cycle. Locate it, and update to the latest driver.

- Other hardware: Run a diagnostic program monitoring hardware temperature. CPU/HDD/Memory/Board can be overheated, transferring the heat to the cable tip.

- Plug port may be obstructed by some foreign object, increasing resistance and heat there. I've never seen this before, but a pure speculation.

Solution

azed3000

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

I have checked the hardware temps for those components, they all seem to be normal, although the vents are right next to the a/c adapter port, i dont think that would do much though cause i used to game on this laptop and i never had this problem before.

ill try your first and last point, thanks for the help =)

azed3000

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

Turns out it there was alot of dirt in the a/c adapter hole, i shoved a cloth is and took out all this black coloured dirt, Thanks for the help mate! I never would of thought of that, i was thinking its more technically related like a loose wire, or something along those lines. Cheers buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.