Laptop and SSD compatible?

Solution
It appears to be the right form factor, but I understand some laptops have mini (about half sized) SATA power connectors.
The photo on new egg shows a standard sized connector; I would check to see if your laptop has a standard sized power connector.

Other than that, it should be just dandy. Looks like a very nice drive. I'm assuming you have a WIN7 disc and have the ability to pull the data off the old drive.

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
It appears to be the right form factor, but I understand some laptops have mini (about half sized) SATA power connectors.
The photo on new egg shows a standard sized connector; I would check to see if your laptop has a standard sized power connector.

Other than that, it should be just dandy. Looks like a very nice drive. I'm assuming you have a WIN7 disc and have the ability to pull the data off the old drive.

Solution

jojo11

Distinguished
May 22, 2009

Thanks buzznuts . actually it's my friends laptop and I was trying to help him out to make sure it is compatible. He does not have Win 7. He says

he's going to keep win Vista 64 bit. He already bought it this morning so we will see if it fits. Have you heard of any proplems with SSD and

Vista? if the power connecter is mini is their any adapters for that? thanks and I like your name buzznut (lol)

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
sry I didn't get back to you, yes there are adapters but I am unsure of how that would work. To ensure compatibility I would just get the laptop version.

Using Vista shouldn't cause any pb however I don't know that any drives have trim enabled in Vista. However I could be wrong since Vista and 7 are so closely related, kind of like an older sibling.
If no trim, it takes a little more m aintenance like garbage collection to keep the drive in top performance.