Laptop artifacting on startup

Aug 17, 2018
My new-ish Acer Swift 3 briefly displays some artifacting upon startup. It only lasts about 1 second but seems to be getting worse. It happens each time the machine is turned on but after it boots there are no further issues. I am worried it is the GPU as I only purchased this laptop a few months ago. It only gets used for web and light gaming (World of Warcraft). How can I look into this further to diagnose?

https://imgur.com/a/Q6hOxMw

Solution
Artifacts are often a side effect of bad, or failing, video memory. As long as you're still in warranty, I would try to cash out on having it repaired or replaced. Try to catch the artifacts on video, if you can, just in case the service center says they can't reproduce the problem.

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
Is it still under warranty? You should contact Acer support and RMA it. Artifacting can be caused by a ton of different issues, and some of them are bigger deals like a failing gpu or hard drive, or unstable cpu timings. It's definitely not worth troubleshooting a new laptop.

Artifacts are often a side effect of bad, or failing, video memory. As long as you're still in warranty, I would try to cash out on having it repaired or replaced. Try to catch the artifacts on video, if you can, just in case the service center says they can't reproduce the problem.

Solution