Laptop Automatic Screen Brightness Is Persistent, No Matter What.

AlagomSwede

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
Hi.
Ever since I got my HP Pavillion (Windows 8,1) I've had a problem with the screen brightness changing automatically based on what's on the screen, not the light level in the room. I have tried many different solutions but nothing seems to work.

I have:
* changed to Performance Power Plan: No results.
* turned off the "Enable Adaptive Brightness" in Advanced Power Options: No results.
* turned off "Sensor Monitorin Service" in "Services.msc": No results.
* moved the brightness slider in "Mobility Center": Worked for a while, but not anymore.
* gone looking for any "auto-brightness" options in the Charms menus: Couldn't find any.

Finally I went to uninstall the Intel Graphics drivers, which seems to be the only thing that has any effect. The brightness stops changing automatically, but I am unable to change the brightness myself, and all graphics load really slowly. Which leads me to believe that there is some backup potato that takes over, since the built-in Nvidia GPU can apparently only work in tandem with the Intel Graphics.

I came to the conclusion that the problem lies within the Intel Graphics Properties, but when I try to access the Advanced Monitor Settings it tells me that "This monitor does not support any of the advanced features"

So that's where we are now and I am completely out of idea. Needless to say, I would be very grateful if anyone could help me solve this, thanks.

Hi,

Go to Device Manager and under Monitor is the PnP monitor driver, right click on it and click on Enable if it's available as an option but if not select Uninstall instead then reboot your laptop. After the reboot that should reinstall the driver you've uninstalled then try adjusting the brightness again. If that doesn't work please do try these other troubleshooting steps.
- Go to Device Manager uninstall the NVIDIA driver under Display Adapters then go to Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA as well.
- Download and install the latest graphics card driver located in NVIDIA support site. Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Reboot your laptop once the driver has been installed.

Hi,

Go to Device Manager and under Monitor is the PnP monitor driver, right click on it and click on Enable if it's available as an option but if not select Uninstall instead then reboot your laptop. After the reboot that should reinstall the driver you've uninstalled then try adjusting the brightness again. If that doesn't work please do try these other troubleshooting steps.
- Go to Device Manager uninstall the NVIDIA driver under Display Adapters then go to Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA as well.
- Download and install the latest graphics card driver located in NVIDIA support site. Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Reboot your laptop once the driver has been installed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
zulfanmr Laptop Tech Support 5
xcodyaxton Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 2
F Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 2
J Laptop Tech Support 1