Laptop, baffling power issue

petetech123

Estimable
May 27, 2015
Hi everyone, I'm hoping somebody may have a solution to a baffling problem. I connected an external USB HDD to my laptop and it suddenly switched off, since then if power it up it starts up for a second and then stops dead but the power on light and WiFi light stays on. Oddly I leave it for 24 hours say, it will boot up starting to load Windows but then suddenly shuts off again. After that I just get the same described earlier. I've changed the fan for new one but the laptop is almost new anyway so it;s not a build up of dust etc inside it looks fine. I've also tried removing RAM HDD etc but still no luck. Any ideas?

petetech123

Estimable
May 27, 2015

petetech123

Estimable
May 27, 2015
Hi, thank you for your reply. The laptop is over a year old but hardly used I bought it for my son who Installed Windows 8 and everything else and then decided he wanted a Mac book instead. He probably used it for all of 24 hours, I has an i5 processor 16GB RAM and 1Tb HDD a really good spec. The really strange thing is when I leave for 24 hours it start to load Windows etc, then shuts off, after that it it will power on the power light and WiFi light stay on but nothing??

Check it with an external monitor, connect a keyboard/mouse and the monitor to it, turn it on and close the lid right away. It should detect the monitor as the only display and if it's a display issue, it will run on the monitor. If it wont display to the monitor, you need to have it looked at for a possible motherboard replacement. Did you try running it without a battery?

petetech123

Estimable
May 27, 2015
Hi again,
I've tried all the things you have suggested with no luck so it looks like I'm gonna have to take it to a repair shop. Thanks for your help anyway, much appreciated.