Solved! Laptop battery drain when powered off.

alphadragon211

Estimable
Jun 19, 2018
I have an HP Pavillion Gaming Laptop 15-dk1xxx with an i5-10300H processor, GTX 1650Ti,8+8RAM,512SSD + 2TB HDD.

Recently I am noticing an insane battery drain after I shut down the system. My recent observation is of a drop from 80% to 50% within 12-14 hours.
I haven't installed any new software recently. I had a Kaspersky cloud(Free version) do a full system scan, I have tried the Windows Refresh as well.
Nothing has resolved the issue, nor am I able to figure out what is happening. The Laptop is only 1 year old so I don't think this is a Battery issue.

Please help me out with any possible causes/solutions that I can try out. TIA!

Solution
Recently I am noticing an insane battery drain after I shut down the system.

Windows 11? Make sure it's not just asleep.

I had a Kaspersky cloud(Free version) do a full system scan

Someone here is gonna try to get my head for this, but don't use antivirus. Use an adblocker and a HOSTS file. I stopped using antivirus the second adblockers became popular and haven't gotten a single virus.

The Laptop is only 1 year old so I don't think this is a Battery issue.

I'm going to assume that since it's so new that it uses lipo pouches and not standard 18650s.

If the battery is draining while in S5 sleep (aka fully powered off) then that likely means the battery is chemically...

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Recently I am noticing an insane battery drain after I shut down the system.

I had a Kaspersky cloud(Free version) do a full system scan

Someone here is gonna try to get my head for this, but don't use antivirus. Use an adblocker and a HOSTS file. I stopped using antivirus the second adblockers became popular and haven't gotten a single virus.

The Laptop is only 1 year old so I don't think this is a Battery issue.

I'm going to assume that since it's so new that it uses lipo pouches and not standard 18650s.

If the battery is draining while in S5 sleep (aka fully powered off) then that likely means the battery is chemically damaged from poor charging habits.

Download HWInfo and show us the Smart Battery statistics in the main window. This will show us the designed capacity, the current capacity, wear level, etc and will allow me to make better inferences into your issue.

Solution

alphadragon211

Estimable
Jun 19, 2018
First off, a BIG thank you for your response!

No, I am still on Windows 10. I noticed that the charge actually is holding better when I put the machine to sleep. I will need to confirm this to a point where I run timed observations. I will update you when I do so.

Thank you, I did not know about the hosts file previously.

I'm not sure, please let me know if there is any way that I can find this.

If the battery is draining while in S5 sleep (aka fully powered off) then that likely means the battery is chemically damaged from poor charging habits.

Download HWInfo and show us the Smart Battery statistics in the main window. This will show us the designed capacity, the current capacity, wear level, etc and will allow me to make better inferences into your issue.
HWinfo-Smart-Battery.png

Please let me know if it is better to charge occasionally in small increments or to charge only if running low all the way to full capacity. I use the laptop plugged in mostly when running games. And based on the wear shown, it looks like I need to do something different to prevent additional wear.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
I'm not sure, please let me know if there is any way that I can find this.

Looking at your screenshot, you've lost about 1/5th of your usable capacity with wear.
HP Pavillion Gaming Laptop 15-dk1xxx

Looks like that model has a LiPo pouch that's only removable by disassembling the laptop.

It looks like you have lost about 1/5 of your usable capacity due to wear. Battery wear is at a chemical level and cannot be reversed.

As I thought, this is what's causing the drain, the battery is just very worn and you will need a new one.

It's better to charge it fully and then completely discharge it. It's pretty bad to constantly drain it partially and then juice it back up, this is how wear occurs faster.

If you're doing intensive tasks like gaming, it's better to just leave the machine plugged in as quickly draining the battery will also mess it up. You see this with power tools quite often.

alphadragon211

Estimable
Jun 19, 2018
Looking at your screenshot, you've lost about 1/5th of your usable capacity with wear.

As I thought, this is what's causing the drain, the battery is just very worn and you will need a new one.

I agree, but the drain I am noticing is very recent. Losing 1/5th might reduce the overall time my laptop can stay on, but this discharge over a period of time when the laptop is turned "off" is perplexing.

I was thinking of doing a complete reset to see if the software has anything to do with this. Any other suggestions for me before I do this?

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
I was thinking of doing a complete reset to see if the software has anything to do with this. Any other suggestions for me before I do this?

Check the BIOS to make sure that there aren't any weird sleep type settings enabled. Although I doubt it. I also don't think a reset is going to change anything.

Do a full backup just in case, so in the event I'm right, you can just restore everything.