laptop battery problem

pin2basak

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
When i turn on my laptop with battery it can't take power from AC power socket,but when turn on without battery it can take.How to fix it? Thank you

Solution
Haha. The laptop I mentioned with problems was a Presario CQ61. It has a new motherboard, new charger, and new owner. Last I checked it's still running strong.

If your computer is having power issues and freezing it might be a grounding issue. Either some of the aluminum tape or screws are missing or simply have a bad laptop design. Maybe even have some dirty or damaged traces on the motherboard. I had a Toshiba Satellite M50X (or something) that would freeze if you touched the speaker covers while it was booting up.

I think the easiest thing you could try is go to your local computer or electronics shop and buy a universal laptop charger. Keep the receipt and return it if it doesn't solve the battery charging issue.

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
4 reasons I've found from experience.

Bad battery. You should replace every year at most every 2.

Bad charger. If the charger isn't outputting enough juice to charge the battery then the battery won't charge regardless if the computer is on or off. Had this problem with a Compaq laptop. A common symptom is that the laptop won't power on unless the battery is in place.

Bad charging circuit on the board. Capacitors don't last forever. Perhaps your power went out and when it came back on your computer got a surge and damaged some components. Happened with an old IBM Thinkpad my dad had.

Your charging port on the computer could be damaged or loose. Wiggle the cord when it's plugged in and see if the computer will recognize that it's being charged.

pin2basak

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017

First of all, I want to say you that yes this is Compaq laptop(Presario CQ40 ) and almost 7 years old.
My laptop"s first battery had a problem(showing "PLUGED IN, NOT CHARGING").then after some years (1-2 years) later bought a new battery for my laptop.My laptop was running nice with new battery but after 4-5 months My laptop was being hanged (when I run my laptop on battery).Then I went to Compaq service centre and replace it with a new one.It also going nice but after 2-3 months the same problem has occurred and after some days suddenly It can't take power from AC power socket.Then I ran my laptop without the battery about 12 months(It ran nice but I fear about power-cut). After that some days before(11 aug.2017) I again run my laptop with that battery and I see it is working(this time it charged from 0% to 55%, after that turn off AC power socket and run on battery) but when battery power about 45% charged then My laptop is hanged and then I turn on AC power socket but my laptop can't take power from .Now again I running my laptop without the battery.
What is the problem with my laptop?and How I fix it? Plz help

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Haha. The laptop I mentioned with problems was a Presario CQ61. It has a new motherboard, new charger, and new owner. Last I checked it's still running strong.

If your computer is having power issues and freezing it might be a grounding issue. Either some of the aluminum tape or screws are missing or simply have a bad laptop design. Maybe even have some dirty or damaged traces on the motherboard. I had a Toshiba Satellite M50X (or something) that would freeze if you touched the speaker covers while it was booting up.

I think the easiest thing you could try is go to your local computer or electronics shop and buy a universal laptop charger. Keep the receipt and return it if it doesn't solve the battery charging issue.

Solution