Solved! Laptop BIOS won't detect boot drive USB

AiNaKa

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
So I'm trying to install a new OS on my ASUS Laptop (Model: TP501U) and it runs the BIOS: Aptio Setup Utility version 201.

For some reason, everytime i try and boot off any sort of USB, the option does not appear underneath "Boot Override", and when i try to go to "Add New Boot Option", I can't find the directory for the USB. This applies for all USBs i use and all ports i use. Can anyone provide insight on the issue here? Thanks.

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
Have a go at using Plop Linux to see if it's USB boot option will allow the USB boot.

You can do this in a couple of ways including using EasyBCD to add Plop or alternatively burn it to disk (if of course you have a Disk drive) ... by the sound of it you are obviously not going to be able to put Plop on a USB and boot from that so the above seem to be your best options.

Here is a good video to explain it all to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6KgK-pPilA

I understand that this really doesn't solve the root of the problem but ...

Good luck :)

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
OK - no disk drive - got ya.

But that doesn't stop you from adding Plop boot option via EasyBCD as suggested ... this is an alternative which I feel may be worth a shot ... nothing ventured - nothing gained.

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
More than likely this is what is going on. That USB Boot drive is set as a Legacy/MBR boot drive and not a uEFI boot drive.

Go into your motherboard. Look for CSM Support (usually under boot settings) and enable CSM Support. I bet you will probably see the USB drive then.