Laptop booted up today for 1st time in awhile; how to prepare?

ABlue

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
Toshiba Satellite L675D/Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

One morning, over a month ago, my 3-year old laptop stopped booting up. Couple of clicks, power indicator lights, not much more. I tried the unplug the power, remove the battery, hold the power button down thing several times. This morning I had a chance to look into it some more.

For some reason it struck me to force open the DVD tray (which was empty) and try to start it up. Wow. It did.

I'm running virus software now, cleaning up the system and then I'm going to back up any vital files.

What's the most important thing I do before I turn it off again... wondering if it ever comes back on? By the way, I do see that a Windows update is pending.

Help is appreciated.

Solution
I would update it. Also, go into "device manager" or something (dunno what it's called in 7, I'm on 8.1) and just go through and make sure your CD drive has all its drivers updated by right clicking and then "update drivers". Best of luck to you. On a side note, back up anything important and restore your windows copy from the BIOS (you might want to look it up for your specific laptop).

Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I would update it. Also, go into "device manager" or something (dunno what it's called in 7, I'm on 8.1) and just go through and make sure your CD drive has all its drivers updated by right clicking and then "update drivers". Best of luck to you. On a side note, back up anything important and restore your windows copy from the BIOS (you might want to look it up for your specific laptop).

Solution