Laptop boots, blank screen, no display on external monitor

Jgwman

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Hey, I've just registered on the site but searched the forum for a while. I was looking for some advice on a laptop I was considering purchasing to refurbish. I am told that the laptop boots up, but there is no display on the laptop screen, or by either VGA or HDMI. The seller has just replaced the GPU and he says it worked for a few days then stopped again. I basically would like a list of possible solutions, and how likely it is that I could fix it. Keep in mind that I can't actually test anything as I don't yet own the laptop! Thanks in advance.

Solution
If he had issues with the system, and tried to fix it by replacing hardware without knowing the cause, he made a bad decision

I would suspect the motherboard is the culprit if this is the second GPU that's died - unless he's overclocking it and burning it out

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Why do u want to purchase someone's headache? There's plenty of perfectly good working laptops out there for sale that you will enjoy minus the work to fix it.

My suggestion is to forget about buying it and fixing it unless you get it for free

We would need all the system specs to even start in answering your question - and history as to why it doesn't work now

Jgwman

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
He replaced the GPU as an attempt to fix the screen issue. I would bet on the GPU being under warranty if he got it new; if you mean the laptop then no, it is not.

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
If he had issues with the system, and tried to fix it by replacing hardware without knowing the cause, he made a bad decision

I would suspect the motherboard is the culprit if this is the second GPU that's died - unless he's overclocking it and burning it out

Solution

bipolarisme

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
if there is no display but there is power maybe you are having problem with your memory card or what do we call RAM. try to test any memory card or RAM that will fit at your unit.