Laptop came back from prophylactic dusting & thermal paste - strange fps drops up and down.

Sankekur

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
Hi there,

I need your opinion guys.

I took my ASUS N56V Series (i7 3630QM, Geforce 740M, 8gb ram) to a service point (with apparent awesome reviews online) for a prophylactic dusting and cleaning since I had it for two years and my mate told me it's good to do it due to all the crap gathering inside and thermal paste going hard and crumbly. So I did. The laptop came back, the dudes took £40 off me and now all the games I was running (nothing too demanding, most of them on low specs) got odd FPS drops. It's like from smooth 30 fps now it's within seconds it goes from 30 down to 5-10 and back up again to 30 and there again to 5-10 over and over again. I did CPU Stability test and didn't notice any throttling. Here's my log from GPU-z:

10i5gts.jpg

Any thoughts? Any ideas? I did a clean install of Nvidia drivers. I'm thinking about format and clean WIndows install. Or did the guys turned out to be cowboys and physically broke my laptop?

Cheers!

Sankekur

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016

Oh, sorry, I just realized I didn't write that these logs where taken while playing one of the games that were running at smooth 25-30 fps and now are jumping all over the place from 30 to 5 in matter of seconds. I know the temps are fairly high but I guess for laptop it's still doable? Unfortunately when it was all working I didn't bother to measure the temps.

Sankekur

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016

Well, of course I took it back. They holded the laptop for like a week for 'tests' and found nothing. They claim they changed the paste, did dusting, and found no other issues. You reckon it's worth doing a clean WIndows install?