Solved! Laptop CMOS reset only after windows shutdown

navidnouri

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
i have a Sony SVF15N17CXB. i recently came across that windows (win10 1809) is showing incorrect times, sometime it goes to 2024!! so i checked the event viewer and saw when the time server is not available the OS syncs the time with hardware ( to a wrong date!) so i checked the BIOS time and saw it was reset! i set the date and time in BIOS and reset the computer, but the windows shows the wrong time!
from what i checked the BIOS keeps resetting after shut down so i thought the battery is down. i checked the battery and the voltage was good but it couldn't give enough impedance so i replaced the battery with a better one, but the issue was still there, i checked if battery is correctly connected to the mainboard and it was fine, but the thing is the BIOS reset is only appearing after shutting down from windows,
when i shutdown from windows and wait for no matter how much the and then start the laptop and go to bios the time is like 00:00:10 01/01/2013,
but if i set the time in BIOS and shutdown the laptop from BIOS the clock saves the time no matter how much time passes. i don't know how can i check the BIOS time in windows so i can know if the time get corrupted when windows is loading or when windows is getting turned off, but i think when windows is loading its gets messy since the windows time is wrong when it loads after a BIOS time set.
my idea is maybe the 1809 update of windows (mother of bugs) messes with the UEFI BIOS or something. i really don't want to replace the MB because of the faulty BIOS :((

navidnouri

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
by replacing the battery i meant CMOS battery , the main battery itself is working good and is not detachable, which i think also should provide with electricity even when the CMOS battery is dead and prevent the CMOS reset, just like desktop PCs that have dead CMOS battery, their CMOS don't get reset until they get unplugged,